4GB files not split with NTFS

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello

I have come across the 4GB limit and the fact that the file is split. Just wonder if the memory card once it has the FAT32 changed to NTFS using dos on PC will be read by the camcorder?

If yes, then presumably you could have a file greated than 4GB and it would remain as 1 file?

Cheers

Geoff

I don’t know of any cameras that can read/write to NTFS. You can always try, but when you format back to FAT32, be sure to do it using the camera’s format / initialize option – and not the computer. That is, if the camera even recognizes the card.

Participant

The “import” program that presumably came on a CD with your camera should import camera files to your computer and stitch them together as though a single file. If no CD, I feel pretty certain you can find utilities on line that will do this for you. Works with my Sony NX5U and X70s.

Participant

I would be very surprised if you can use a card formatted in camera A in camera B.

I use Sony Vegas for editing and syncing video to a separate audio file should not be a problem in this program. The caveat here is that the camera speed may not coincide exactly with the speed of the audio recording device. Search this forum for discussions about this problem.

My Sony NX5U came with software called “Content Management” which downloads from the camera and stitches the individual scenes into one seamless piece.

would this stringing together be good enough if recording a piano recital? I would be syncing with separate audio using a Zoom H2 which seems to have worked so far.
      Friend has a 4K Sony FDR-AX100 – will long recording file be split after the 4GB limit?

On some cameras, they lose one or two frames of video when they close out a 4gb file and start a new one. One thing you can consider is to turn off recording between performers for a moment, then start recording again.

I don’t know anything about the Sony cam you mentioned, but if the cards are Fat32, then it will close out each file at 4gb.

Not easy? Pushing a button twice to stop and restart recording… Hmmmm – sounds pretty easy πŸ™‚

Open one of your 4gb files and see how long it is in minutes. I would imagine, at a recital, that each performer will be on stage for less time than your 4gb time. Easy peasy

The camcorder will not stop. It will simply close the current file and start a new one – and continue recording until, 1) you stop it, 2) the card is full, or 3) the battery runs dead. Can you lower the bit rate at which you’re recording, to give the camera more runtime between file breaks?

I almost always run two cameras at any event, both set to different bit rates, so if one camera skips a few frames at the 4gb mark, I can just cut to the second camera in editing, then cut back…etc.

It works !!!

I have just imported into Nero 2016 the 3 video files from the Canon 700D which had been created when I hit the 4GB limit – and lo and behold they meet without gaps !!

Thanks for all your help folks!

Cheers
      Geoff

Jack

I have learnt to format the card using the camera itself. This may imply that this card may not be useable by another camera?

Is the file created by the stitching together software OK for synching with a separate audio file?

Geoff

yes – using the camera for card format seems a good idea!

Geoff

its happened again ! I click the save icon and nothing appears to happen – so click again and get 2 versions – what am I missing?!

so really you have to know length of time before 4GB reached and then stop recording at the end of the movement before this point has been reached….not making life easy!

Geoff

Looking at the files I see that about 4GB for 12 minutes so if I wish to avoid the splits it means that I need to stop/start after each movement because say the first movement lasts 8 minutes and the second 5 minutes the 4GB limit will happen part way through the second movement.

Will the camcorder stop and start automatically when the 4GB point has been reached or just stop?

Geoff

Kevin

‘afraid not as I returned the DSLR to the shop ! Which is the better a DSLR or a camcorder?

Geoff

OK understand – thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Geoff

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap