3D Stereoscopic Editing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have several questions regarding stereoscopic shooting and video editing

1. If I’m using footage from 2 cameras (shot using a 3D rig) should I have a 3D Compatible monitor to monitor the footage as I’m editing? what is the standard procedure in editing stereoscopic footage? (assuming that it is colorgraded and exported to DCP)

2. Can I make adjustments like changing the depth or convergence if I’m using a software like Media Composer? Is it up to the editor to make adjustments or does another qualified person get involved in this process using third party tools?

JackWolcott
      Participant

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to chat briefly with Thelma Schoonmaker. In our conversation she told me that when she edited and reviewed with Martin Scorsese his production of “Hugo,” much of their work was done in 2D, with reference to the 3D only after the edit was substantially completed.

While Ms. Schoonmaker did not say this expressly, I was left with the impression that for her, editing was editing — i.e., the development of story through the juxtaposition of images — while working with 3D was merely icing on the cake.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN