3 x Camera Concert shoot, But what equipment?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Afternoon

I'm an editor by trade but have been asked to put a setup together to film and stream live bands in medium to large venues, 2000 – 10000 people. I havent been given a budget yet, so i need to have a few options, but I must admit I don't have a clue which cameras, mixer or I/O for the computer to use. What setup do you guys use? I thought hopefully this will help me start to make some decisions so I can start test out equipment. I know this is a very broad question and I haven't given many specifics. 
      Thanks Mat
    Participant

Until you get a budget, we're not really in a position to give sensible advice – we could go for a true teeny-weeny budget solution, with 3 random old camcorders, and ex-ebay mixer and some cheapo streaming software with skype like image quality – or we could spec some Sony 1500s, where the camera cables would cost more than the other system!

We need at least a guide budget – and if it's too low, people will suggest renting in the kit, rather than waste your money. Seriously though, a portable production unit with all the kit, like cabling and comms is going to be expensive. I've had a couple over the years, and tried to shave a few pounds off with some second hand kit – but the tiny things soon mount up. So how many thousands are we talking? New or second hand, and worse still don't forget to factor in proper flight cases – the best investment you will ever make!

Participant

Hi Paul

Thanks for that, I'm not going to know the budget for a while yet. It depends on the sponsoring. I'll have a word and see if I can get a basic ball park

Cheers Matt 

Participant

Make certain your producer is CLEAR on his/her expectations.  Do they want a Tricaster, to swap views, make titles, etc.?

You are absolutely correct that you'll want to test out the equipment.  Perhaps you can tag along with another local production outfit?

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
    homicide-bootstrap