3 x Camera Concert shoot, But what equipment?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Afternoon

I'm an editor by trade but have been asked to put a setup together to film and stream live bands in medium to large venues, 2000 – 10000 people. I havent been given a budget yet, so i need to have a few options, but I must admit I don't have a clue which cameras, mixer or I/O for the computer to use. What setup do you guys use? I thought hopefully this will help me start to make some decisions so I can start test out equipment. I know this is a very broad question and I haven't given many specifics. 
      Thanks Mat
      Participant

Until you get a budget, we're not really in a position to give sensible advice – we could go for a true teeny-weeny budget solution, with 3 random old camcorders, and ex-ebay mixer and some cheapo streaming software with skype like image quality – or we could spec some Sony 1500s, where the camera cables would cost more than the other system!

We need at least a guide budget – and if it's too low, people will suggest renting in the kit, rather than waste your money. Seriously though, a portable production unit with all the kit, like cabling and comms is going to be expensive. I've had a couple over the years, and tried to shave a few pounds off with some second hand kit – but the tiny things soon mount up. So how many thousands are we talking? New or second hand, and worse still don't forget to factor in proper flight cases – the best investment you will ever make!

Participant

Hi Paul

Thanks for that, I'm not going to know the budget for a while yet. It depends on the sponsoring. I'll have a word and see if I can get a basic ball park

Cheers Matt 

Participant

Make certain your producer is CLEAR on his/her expectations.  Do they want a Tricaster, to swap views, make titles, etc.?

You are absolutely correct that you'll want to test out the equipment.  Perhaps you can tag along with another local production outfit?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap