$2000 budget for two camcorders

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

We want to shoot some instructional videos for our business, and have budgeted $2000 for a two camcorder setup.

Up til now I've used a Canon SX20 IS for short, private videos, but I'd like a more professional look for videos to share with our customers on our website, and social media.

I know that $1000 per camera isn't going to get close to professional video, but I'm hoping with all the advances in the last couple of years, the experts here can point us in the right direction for the best camcorder (consumer/prosumer) models that can make our amateur efforts look somewhat professional.

Participant

Just as important – What editing platform will you be using?  Adobe Premeire?  Final Cut Pro? Sony Vegas?

Much can be done with relatively inexpensive camcorders but without a solid editing system, you won't be able to achieve your goal.

I can't recommend any camcorder other than what I own.  It's out of your price range.  If you check out the reviews on this site, I'm pretty certain you'll find plenty of candidates.  Good luck!!!

Participant

I just went to B & H photo website and checked out camcorders from 750 to 1000. There's four to consider; a Canon, a Panasonic and two Sonys. All will do a great job. Why not start with reading reviews about those, see if they suit your needs…you know, do a little work on your own…and if you are still wanting opinions post about which two you are undecided about. 

You can make excellent instructional videos with iPhone and GoPro's…if you know what you are doing, can balance the variables or peculiarities of each type of camera as well as your instructional needs.

I'm assuming you are making studio videos, since you didn't mention the need to be outdoors. Cameras are really dependant on lighting so, along with a NLE (and computer that can handle multiple lines of HD) you may like to add what lighting you are using, what your studio set up is, the type of microphones you will be using…all that can help forum readers help you.

Participant

I just went to B & H photo website and checked out camcorders from 750 to 1000. There's four to consider; a Canon, a Panasonic and two Sonys. All will do a great job. Why not start with reading reviews about those, see if they suit your needs…you know, do a little work on your own…and if you are still wanting opinions post about which two you are undecided about. 

You can make excellent instructional videos with iPhone and GoPro's…if you know what you are doing, can balance the variables or peculiarities of each type of camera as well as your instructional needs.

I'm assuming you are making studio videos, since you didn't mention the need to be outdoors. Cameras are really dependant on lighting so, along with a NLE (and computer that can handle multiple lines of HD) you may like to add what lighting you are using, what your studio set up is, the type of microphones you will be using…all that can help forum readers help you.

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Thanks for the replies.

We have Premeire Pro CS5.5 in our Adobe suite, but will probably need to buy a new workstation to handle the video processing.

Yes, these will be indoor classroom-type videos.

We have a random assortment of low-end gear for lighting and sound.

Sound: Zoom H1, Audio-Technica lavalier and shotgun/boom mikes.

Lighting: 600w white umbrella flourescent stands.

We'll most likely buy a couple of 1200w softbox light kits to supplement unless I get steered a different direction in my research.

I have been doing lots of reading on cameras and camcorders on various sites, and to be honest, the choices and reviews are a little overwhelming.

Even just making the choice between going with a dedicated camcorder over using another digital camera like the G6 took several days' worth of reading and second-guessing.

My original thought was to buy two camcorders of the same model to keep a seemless look between the two shots, but I'm also tempted to split the budget between one higher end shoulder-style, and one lower end camera.

I've seen that the JVC GY-HM70U is around $1200, and that would still leave $800 for a smaller consumer model.

Any thoughts on that option, and how different the footage would look from that model and something like the Canon and Panasonic in the $700-$1000 range?

Participant

Good question, whether or not get two the same or get one better than the other. In one of my studio sdt ups I use two mid priced consumer Sony Camcorders and one prosumer Canon. I like that I can run my two wireless lavs to the Canon which is the center shot of an interview show. Despite the Sonys being the same, the colors aren't! But they're close enough. There will always be some finangling mixing cameras but if you get a good white balance its easy in PPRO, using Fast Color Corrector, to match things close enough.

My Canon is a larger camera that has everything on board so it makes moving around trade shows and classrooms easy. The audio flexibility is important when you move. Typically the built in mike isn't that good so having other mics options becomes important.

If you need a shoulder mount cam or the flexibilty to move around, the JVC looks good. 

I found it quite handy that my dslrs use the same batteries. Two of my cams use the same size filters, thats handy too. 

I've used Panasonic 3ccd cameras and liked them, good products. I use mostly Canon equipment now so I can swap batteries, lenses, filters, reduces hunting time during setup!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap