1st lens for sony A7s

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Greetings.

After extensive research I have decided to get an a7s+atomos shogun, and I'm now looking for a lens to go with it. I must have read at least a dozen guides and countless forum discussions on the matter, and I must say I'm still confused. I should mention I'm a post-production kind of person, I've also done production sound on a few occasions (also a recording engineer), but shooting video is new to me.

I'm working with a dance group and we'll be doing a lot of indoor shots in a new studio we're building. I suspect we'll be using a tripod and/or a diy dolly, as opposed to handheld work, and we plan on using cg a lot. We did a few tests and I figure a good first lens would be a 35mm prime, as fast as possible.

Where I'm confused is with the mounts… as far as I can tell, without an adapter there are only three options, a f/2.8 sony and a f/2 zeiss, as well as a samyang/rokinon cine lens that are theoretically faster, but I read not sharp at all when open.

What I can't figure out is if I should go for an adapter and buy something else… If I did have an existing lens collection, I'd probably do that. But I don't, so I'm feeling a bit lost. Money-wise, I'm looking for something at about $1000, maybe a bit more if it's really worth it.

I'm open to any kind of help or suggestion… clarity and low-light performance are crucial, I don't mind manual control. Stabilisation would be a plus. At some point in the future I might also get a basic follow focus.

What are you guys using? Anything youd recommend?

Thanks, Dani.

Hi Dani – I would get a $100 third party Canon EF to NEX adapter with aperture control and IS and a highly rated $599 Canon EF 35mm f2 lens  ($549 after Canon $50 mail-in rebate).

This will put you in the Canon lens ecosystem – providing you with a lot more lens choices – and arguably better quality.

Here are a couple of examples of the image quality produced by the Canon 35mm f2 IS when mounted on the A7s:

Hope this is helpful, good luck with your project  – and best of the holidays!

Best,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I really hate Canon as I have been burned by them several times.

That said, it is hard to get away from their mount because the adapter will feed thru the electonic contols.

Personally, I would use Sigmas with the EF mount and look at Cine lens too.

And I would buy used lens if available .

Participant

The A7s is an amazing camera with an FE mount which is a Full Frame E mount. You can get an adapter Metabones, Fotodiox etc and use a wide variety of lenses. With the A7R, I've used Leica M, Leica R, the latter being better for the A7R but either will work on A7s. You can also like previous posters suggested get a Canon adapter or Cine lenses. Keep in mind that some reports say that the mount is not that sturdy, so for a heavy lens Fotodiox (I believe) makes a heavier duty replacement mount.

I've been using the A7s (for casual use) for about 6 months. Low light capability is out of this world. In addition to the 3rd party lenses I have have 2 FE lenses for it, the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8. Both are amazing lenses for still and casual video.

You mentioned a preference for a 35mm field of view and therefore I would highly recommend the Sony Zeiss 35mm. Its f2.8 but especially for dance with full frame, anything larger would likely impact your depth of field esp with dancers moving in and out of the plane of focus. The face detection and autofocus work surprisingly well on the A7s though you may intend to use a follow focus or focus manually. The only question I have is whether that Sony Zeiss 35mm has enough ridges to attach a focus gear.

Besides with the Sony A7s's low light capability, you can shoot 12,800 ISO comfortably, so the 1 or 2 stops with a faster lens is moot.

I just pulled the trigger on the Shogun as well, should get it this week and looking forward to playing with it.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap