1 CMOS vs 3 CMOS (XF105 v. XF305)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      grprahl@yahoo.com
      Participant

Hey guys,

Did a search, and found threads dedicated to CMOS vs 3CCD, but not 3CMOS. I'm researching a camera to get for filming an outdoor television show. Both cameras I'm looking at have pros and cons, one is lightweight, the other has a higher zoom, etc. But my main question is about the image quality via difference in the number of CMOS sensors.

How much of an advantage do I really get using 3 – 1/3" CMOS sensors vs 1 – 1/3" sensor? Is it enough to justify double the weight and double the cost? For outdoor broadcasting, I would need it to excel in low light footage, which is where I think 3 sensors would benefit me, but this is also a cam I'd be setting up 20 feet in a tree or hiking up mountains with, so I'd rather go with the smaller cam if image quality would be similar.

gldnears

" How much of an advantage do I really get using 3 – 1/3" CMOS sensors vs 1 – 1/3" sensor? "

Do you mean " 3CCD not 3CMOS " ? " . . .  this is also a cam I'd be setting up 20 feet in a tree or hiking up mountains with . . . . "

Sounds as if you might be talking about two different cameras . . .

Rick Crampton

grprahl@yahoo.com
      Participant

Yes, two different cameras, and no, I did mean 3 CMOS. The Canon XF305 has 3 CMOS image sensors, each of which are 1/3", whereas the Canon XF105 has 1 CMOS sensor, which is 1/3". But other than that, video codec and features are about the same in each.

theonecanoe
      Participant

I too have researched both cameras but have not actually used either of them. Being a Canon fan and a shooter of outdoor (canoe adventure videos) I'd probably go with the smaller, lighter camera since I do a lot of backpacking and portaging so weight is a major issue. I've been very pleased with results from single chip Canon cameras I've used in the past (HV series), But if it were me, I`d look at the XF100,  which has the same specs as the XF105, but lacks the HD-SDI output,(which I don`t need) and saves you about $600 -$700.

-Wayne-

hubh
      Participant

Have a look at the Gopro, one chip, no xlr yet they're used extensively along with the old sony hc1/a1 in high-end National geo/BBC productions.  If these cams are good enough for the big boys then they're certainly good enough for everyone else, don't you think ?  Just a thought !

grprahl@yahoo.com
      Participant

Thanks for the advice. I too am starting to lean towards the XF100 series vs its bigger brother for the portability.

designcbts
      Participant

By choosing the cheaper camcorder, you could apply the savings to a Herocam and have at least two angles!

Plus, 20 feet is a long way for a camera to drop πŸ˜‰

gldnears

hubh sez: " GoPro . . .  If these cams are good enough for the big boys then they're certainly good enough for everyone else, don't you think ?"

I've been aware of GoPro clips in reality shows  for 2 or 3 years. The DP's have them rigged, several all over action sequences. However, shot clips from these cameras are usually quite short in duration . . .  certainly not enough time to either fall in love with the images / or hate em!

For impressive action when the ability of the camera to survive the event, the GoPro is certainly the prefered camera!!

Rick Crampton

designcbts
      Participant

I can testify that I have intentionally dropped mine from my roof, for a shot I needed.  Of course, it was nestled inside it's case.  It landed safely on my lawn and I achieved the perspective I desired…

It's probably important to mention, there is no zoom…

grprahl@yahoo.com
      Participant

[quote=designcbts]

By choosing the cheaper camcorder, you could apply the savings to a Herocam and have at least two angles! [/quote]

Good point. The same is true with more accessories like a monitor or quality audio equipment.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN