Zoom H4: rookie “phantom power” question

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Zoom H4: rookie “phantom power” question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve been using my Zoom h4 for a couple years. I plug in two seinheisser xlr mics, press record, etc.

This whole time the phantom power option has been set to “off”. I tried switching it to 24v, then 48v with the mics plugged in, and didn’t really hear any difference.

What difference should I hear? Does phantom power really do anything?

~Victor

Participant

Hi Victor.

It should make a lot of difference. At least it does on my H4.

Do you have a voltmeter (they are cheap)? And can you measure the output on your XLR pins on the unit?

If the mics work fine either way, then I would troubleshoot for a faulty unit. If it is faulty, if it is still under warranty, then I would send it in. But if it is not under warranty, and it is doing what you want it to do, then I might recommend “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Do you know what I mean?

Norman

Inactive

Victor,

Condenser mics get power from somewhere. Some get it phantom power supplied over the mic cable. Others have a battery compartment (typically taking one “AA” battery). A few can be switched between phantom power and internal battery. Does your mic contain a battery? Or is it connected to a “power-module” containing a battery?

Dynamic mics don’t need power, so phantom power does nothing for them. And some ribbon mics can actually be damaged by phantom power.

Ken

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap