Zebra striping

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a JVC GY HD 100U I am getting zebra striping around the edges of objects that I am videotaping. I would like to know how to work with zebra or know how to take it out. It also happens when I am videotaping under florescent lighting such as supermarkets with lots of glare from the products.

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

You need to lower the exposure manually until you remove most of the zebras. In some situations the zebras go crazy with different types of light, so you can adjust the exposure or move to a better location.

Camera,

The zebra’s are there for your benefit. They let you see where your exposure is too hot. Just close down your aperture until they decrease. You don’t want to get rid of them all BTW as that will leave your image underexposed. When you are in environments with lots of glare, use your build in ND filters (ND2 most likely indoors) when you can’t close down enough without underexposing. Don’t forget to white balance for the fluorescent lighting.

Inactive

There is a button on the camera called zebra i turned it on and i see the zebra in the camera alot i want to know what else to do how to control the zebra can you minipulate it or it just an on and off switch? the zebra glares are also there when i in use of full auto. I know its good have a little but i have more than a little.

“I want to know what else to do how to control the zebra can you
      minipulate it or it just an on and off switch?”

Camera,

As I said you control the amount of zebras you see by changing your aperture (exposure) setting on you lens. The wider open your aperture is the more light gets in and the more zebras you’ll see. To see less zebras in your view finder or LCD, turn the aperture ring on your lens until you see less zebras that’s called ‘closing down’. You want to turn the aperture ring until you see a small amount of zebras. If you get rid of them all, your image will be underexposed and that’s bad most times.

Participant

I am not familiar with that camera, but on my Sony cameras I can select 70% or 100% zebras. I prefer 100% zebras, anything from 95-105 IRE has zebras. (In that case you want the highlights to have a trace of zebras). I do not like the 70% zebras. They are set up so that a properly exposed Caucasian face has zebra stripes. Kind of hard to see a face. 70% zebras also *do not* zebra on overexposed areas. Only IRE 65-75 get zebras, IRE levels above 75% do not have zebras, so you could be overexposing with no warning at all.

Participant

I have the GY-HD200. There is a setting in the menu (menu, LCD/VF, zebra)to set the zebra level. I’ve found the “85-95%” setting the best. Set your iris so you see the stripes in the just brightest part of the image and you should be good without smashing any whites.

hi i iuse this camera you will find that the zebera control is in the menu as mentioned by mskvideo. how ever you if you are shooting on the run and have not got the time to set up each shot try turning on the auto iris setting (on the lens by the zoom control rocker). It a bit of a cheat but will help you out until you are more confident with the setting up you shots.

I would also recommend that you alway follow the same pattern when you set upa shoot – set the frame, check the focus, check the aperture, check the focus, check the frame, check sound, shoot the shot. all this can be achieved in less that 30 seconds when you get in to the routine.

hope it helps

Inactive

The zebra striping is not omly in the camaera but it is also on tape and when I down load video into the computer I see zebre striping around shinney objects How do I get rid of it. JVC GY HD 100U

Not that this may be your problem but does the striping appear on stationary objects or on objects as the camera is panning around? If it is only happening when the camera is moving you might be seeing some interlacing artifacts that can look like zebras. This occurs when your camera records odd lines in one fame and even in the next, the time it takes to record that next frame your scene has moved giving you a jagged edging almost like zebra striping. Most noticeable on vertical and diagonal contrast transitions.

Inactive

If I am getting interlacing artifacts is there anything I can do to get rid of them as this is happening quit offen?

Participant

0″If I am getting interlacing artifacts is there anything I can do to get
      rid of them as this is happening quit offen?”

1) Get a camera that uses CCD’s or 2) don’t pan. interlace artifacts on motion or pans is typical of CMOS cameras.

Participant

you can always turn it off if exposure is no concern. I leave em at 80 ire and ensure I have em where I want em while shootin’.

Of course, in post, I fly by my scopes.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap