Your Primary Defining Issue with Video?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone care to share their single, most definitive issue as it pertains to you and video business or hobby?

… as an amateur

… as a hobbyist

… as an independent

… as a new business videographer

… as a long-time business videographer

… as a full-time job

… as a part-time or weekend job

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
    Participant

As a new business videographer my most definitive issue is the low paying gigs I get by referral. They are usually church events, birthdays and other special activities that take an immense amount of time to record and edit, to receive no more than $200 for the job (or nothing). The good thing is that I make a few bucks with DVD sales, but it takes way too much time. Since most of the people that want to record the activity are friends, wellthere is a mandatory (don’t know from where) friendship discount involve in the process. I always have a lot of fun making this projects, but as you all Videomaker community know, video equipment is not cheap. Right now my main source of income is Internet Marketing for small business, including video productions for YouTube.

Participant

I was a seriously advanced hobbyist for years and a few years ago moved into the pro world.

I have several important issues but the biggest I face has to do with money – and it’s twofold.

On the income side, I consistently charge less than my services are worth – I have been trying to rectify that however it’s amazing how many people want a $10K video project done for under $1K.

On the expense side, my biggest battle is limited funds – I am ALWAYS on the prowl for free or cheap software & assets. Sometimes it doesn’t need to be cheap but it always needs to provide a huge value (bang for the buck).

Participant

I’m on the line here, been at it for a few years, first to augment my photography business now it seems to be the other way around….

my biggest issue is finding on screen talent to pursue web tv and independent film projects.

Happy Halloween!

Participant

Hi Earl, I can’t wait to read you book! Your advice in these forums is always spot on. Besides the issues mentioned by the readers above, I have two – a business issue and a tech issue.

The business issue is the problem of finding new customers. I am weak in this area as I get all my business from word of mouth recommendations. So, a chapter on marketing (emphasize low cost) would be very interesting to me.

The tech issue is sound. In my opinion, sound is far more difficult to capture than video. My bad experiences have generally centered on having to use existing PA systems. Sometimes the mics and other equipment is of poor quality, but more often the problem is the operator.

I would be very much interested in how you and others deal with various sound set ups such as stage plays, large singing groups on stage, weddings in churches with the wedding-coordinator-from-hell in charge. I have a few tricks that sometimes work for me, but I am always very nervous about sound.

Regards, Jaimie

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap