XLRPRO vs DXA-4

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all, long time without posting (But I’ve been reading a lot of other posts).

I think this is the right section of the forum; if it’s not, please move it to where it should be.

I have a VX2000 camcorder and I’m looking to add a shotgun mic to have more flexable and higher-quality sound. I had admired the Beachtek DXA-4 since it was designed specifically for the VX line of Sony camcorders and from what I read, it’s considered the industry standard.

However, I don’t want to break the bank in getting this (I’m a college student, so money is pretty tight).
      Then I saw the XLRPRO from SignVideo. It seems to be pretty similar in specifications and gives similar options?

So is there a reason to spend more on the Beachtek? Is it higher quality and/or is it worth getting just because it’s size is exactly the right size for my camcorder?

I’m planning on buying a Rode NTG-2 microphone since it seems to be one of the cheapest ‘professional’ quality mics out there (I’d go with the NTG-1, but I can’t afford a mixer at this point for Phantom Power, so spending a few dollars more on the NTG-2 actually saves me money in the short term). Not sure if that will make a difference in which adapter I should choose? With this mic, I plan to use it with either a short XLR cable (1.5 foot probably) or a long XLR cable (20 feet probably on a boom pole, with a shock mount of course!).

I have been looking on places like ebay for a while, and it looks like the DXA-4’s go for around $100. Most of these auctions claim either new or lightly used. I would imagine there’s not too much that could break on these, so does that seem like a pretty safe way to get one of these for fairly cheap?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Inactive

You’re on the right track to find a XLR-1/8″ jack adapter for your camcorder, as Beachtek and SignVideo have product offerings. Other companies with product offerings in this space include:

http://www.juicedlink.com – Mounts to camera. All include preamplifier. Options include phantom, 2-4 XLR inputs, audio meter.

http://www.studio1productions.com – Doesn’t mount to camera, and no phantom or preamp option. Option for 3 XLR input. Plastic case.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap