XL2 or XHA1

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Which it better? Im looking into getting one of them. I like thebignessof the xl2 but I like the HD of the XHA1. And the XHA1 had xlr which I need. Which is better?

Participant

i personally think you should get the xha1 because that camera is made for people who need those kind of features. dont get me wrong, the xl2 is my favoite camcorder. but something tells me you would like the xha1 better. it has features and quality you would use. some discovery channel shows use the xha1. but if you are neaver going to use the hd on the camera, then get the xl2.

Participant

neither one is better than the other. depends what you need….

Participant

I think the XH-A1 would be the best way to go. I have used the XH-A1 and it is simply an amazing camera. The XL2 is great, but the big thing about the A1 is that it is HD. After I got my HD camera, I never wanted to use SD ever again.

Participant

the real question is if you have the equipment to support hd. your computer should have a duo core prosessor

It is not feasible at this stage of the HD production world, to invest ANY significant amount of money into a camera & format with a limited production life expectancy. Spending anything above $1,500 (and maybe even THAT much) for a SD only camera, if you plan to keep a viable production business going, isn’t wise.

That has nothing to say against, or do with, SD vs HD production. Those having SD equipment, and the client base to keep using it are equally wise to avoid investing too early in HD production/editing. Those getting into the business, or ready to move to HD, or being pounded (doubtful) by their client base to provide/offer HD production, would be wise to go ahead with HD rather than spending money on SD and limiting their business potential over the next 12-to-15 months.

EarlC hit it straight on the head and FILMSinc also brought up the ‘nagging question’ concerning the move to HD. My co’made the transition from DV to HD this year. It wasn’texpensive as it could have been, but it still wasn’t cheap. You have to be absolutely clear on the HDpost-production ‘pipeline’ you plan to use and will all of the elements support the camera and the HD format it utilizes. I’ve been a huge fan of Canon for many years and have used an XL1-s rig since ’02. When it was time to make the leap to HD, initially we were going to go with Canon but at the time there was sparse support for their ‘f’ scanning when there was lots for ‘p’. That and there was no canon ‘deck’ for tapes when most of their competitors had consumer and pro VTR’s. Now that things are going solid-state for recording, there are new challenging choices to be made when deciding to get a new rig. As is, DV (SD)is still a viable format particularly for DVD and web distribution. Bottom line is; if you plan to do this for a living, you’re going to have to make the transition to HD. For now, it is not unreasonable to ‘hedge your bets’ and purchase a rig that can do both HD and SD formats.

Participant

HD.

Yes, that is absolutely correct about making sure HD is what you want. It is a big move. With the way technology is rapidly expanding, you may want to make that move to HD if you are doing video production more as a business. I have the XH-A1 and am a huge fan of it becuase you can switch between HDV 1080i or just regular DV format.

Participant

Just found this forum in my search to answer this exact question. not sure if you have seen this but both these cameras are on blow out for $

899 each

XL2-

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7675

Xh A1

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=769_1218&products_id=7683

After reading the prior post Im leaning to the XHA1, I like teh smaller size as well as teh fact that it can shoot in a darker area

Participant

Ok maybe I’m just saying this because I love shooting in HD and spioled roughtenbecause of it. Why buy a camera that is SD when its going bye bye soon HD all the way..

Participant

Anyone want some killer presets for there XHA1 they dvinfo.net they have a spreed sheet with like 19 presets or so I really like the one for lowlight its name is lowlt12 how ever i chaged it by tuning the NR1 filter to med and the NR2 filter to high keep in mind I have been told not to put the NR 1 on high or it will smear with movement ….

Participant

Just found this forum in my search to answer this exact question. not sure if you have seen this but both these cameras are on blow out for $

899 each

XL2-

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7675

Xh A1

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=769_1218&products_id=7683

After reading the prior post Im leaning to the XHA1, I like teh smaller size as well as teh fact that it can shoot in a darker area

Before you buy anything from this seller do a search first. They’re not very scrupulous.

Participant

Why buy a camera that is SD when its going bye bye soon HD all the way..

Not everyone needs HD. There are more people who don’t need it than people who do. Everyone just thinks they need it because they think HD will be the standard tomorrow, or in a week, or a year.

Also, HDV is a buggy codec. It’s way compressed.

Participant

>Not everyone needs HD.

Nobody needs any type of new technology…they just want it because it’s better than the crap from the past…

SD has it’s place….in the history books! It was a glorious run, but now it’s time to get over it and move on with life.

The sooner we can standardize HD and decrease the demand for SD, the better it will be for everyone….

Do it for the children. : )

>Also, HDV is a buggy codec. It’s way compressed.

So what, most people don’t use uncompressed formats anyway…h264 has some seriously highcompression, almost unbelivable, but it doesn’t matter, its stilllooks great andstill recommended for use in HD….now all apple has to do is fix that damn gama shift problem within quicktime and we shold be ok…(has it been fixed yet?)

Inactive

I just got the XH-A1 and I need to find out if I using a firewire cable to download HD in to my pc its gonna lose the HD format? or which its the best option to download HD format into my pc. (I got HDMI imput in my pc and Firewire) Cause Im I fraid that the usb cable and 1394 its no goin to transfer the video in 1080.

Thanks

Participant

You capture HDV the same way you capture DV through the firewire.

Manyaplications willnow let you edit HDV files natively, however this is still not always recommended. Depending on the system you use and what software you choose, it may help to use an intermidiary codec to speed things up and preserve quality, especially if you’re adding lots of effects and titles.

Here is a comprhensive list of questions about editing HDV…it will help you understand a little more about the process. These FAQ’s are a little old…it is now easier to edit HD since these FAQ’s were originaly answered. There are also more intermidiary codecs available now to aide in HDV editing than there are listed in the link, but its a place to start.

http://www.vasst.com/index.php?option=com_xfaq&Itemid=87

Inactive

Thank Coreece

Participant

yeah, thanks for that link to the FAQ’s. It explained a lot.

Participant

Your welcome…The guy who wrote them is a reliable source and popular in the sports video world. (specifically skydiving)

cc, did you notice the section on motion artifacts? It’s not amajor problem, but since you might be making some fast action pans while you’re taping your motorsports, I just wanted to point that out to you.You should also study up on increasing shutter speed…this will help with any potential fast motioninconsistencies while panning in HDV mode.

Inactive

ok this thread is dead a while but i was hoping you might be able to send a little advice my way….

I’m having the same dilemma….Xl2 or A1

I’ve recently gotten some redundancy money and i want to invest…I’m setting up a wedding video business and have bookings (one coming up very soon)…later on I hope to work on commercial projects company promo’s and possible small time adverts

I need to bite the bullet and i’m swaying towards the XL2 simply because I think it may be more manageable for someone with little experience. But then i’m confused about HD it seems like a bad decision to purchase a camera that is …..well ….not the the most up to date technology wise. But on the other hand what’s the point of having a HD if i cant manage it and if its to difficult to edit eating up my memory. If i purchased the A1 i would probably on only shoot in SD. But if i wanted to upgrade in a couple of years would my SD XL2 have completely diminished in value because its not HD?

My head is completely melted the more i read on this subject the more confused i get………Please HELP i need to make a decision soon

Participant

Don’t forget about Sony FX1000. But if you’re just sold on the Canon XH A1, you may want to check out these links.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+Use+a+Canon+XH+A1+Video+Camera%5C&search_type=&aq=f

This guy did a great job discussing all the features of the camera.

Participant

TheXL2 in most cases is actually more expensive than the XHA1. The primary reason for this is because the XL2 eventhough it is SD, has an interchangeble lens system that isa necessityfor some professional videographers, however, it is very unlikey for most people to utilize this feature. Most of the other lenses that you would use for this cameraare around $1400.

Having said that…I think the XH-A1 is the way to go. It is less expensive because it only has a fixed lens system just like most of the prosumer cameras on the market.

If you are a little worried about working with HD, you can always downconvert the footage to SD while you capture in realtimeso you won’t have to worry about being stuck with HD if you can’t handle it yet….The added bonus is that HD converted to SD is precieved to be better than regular SD.

Basically, If you go with the XH-A1, you’ll beall set for HD whenyou’re ready and you’ll pay less and still be able toedit SD footage that will look a little better than your typical SD.

The only thing you are really sacraficing in not getting the XL2 is the shoulder mount and the interchangeable lens system that you really don’t need.

You can always buy a shoulder mount for the XHA1 if you want.

If you want the interchangeable lens system on an HD camera, cannon also makes the XL H1, but it’saround $6,000 and like I said, It’s doubtful you’ll everuse the interchangeable lens system.

I think the XHA1 is calling your name.

Pretty easy huh?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap