XL2 DOF system

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been looking for one, is the Hollywood system any good?
      Also, if I use the EOS adapter on the whole thing would I still get AF or no?

Thanks

Participant

The Letus Extreme is well reviewed and folks have been using them for long enough to prove their reliability.  That said, the addition of extra stuff always adds complication (backfocus adjustments, needing external monitoring for critical focus, etc.).

For better or worse, adapters and AF are mutually exclusive (unless you are buying something with the Birger EOS mount… they are spendy though).  Also, if you are using EF glass, you won’t be able to control the aperture from the adapter, so you’ll need to carry a stills camera body with you ‘on set’ to make adjustments.

If you are shooting with that excellent B4 mount Canon glass on an XL2, why not just grab some ND and CP filters, open the lens as wide as it’ll go and move back from your subject to get shallower DOF?

Participant

Now the other thing that kinda confronts me is this:

I have the FS4, but a Mac that doesn’t have a compatible firewire port, and its downright annoying to use.

I’m debating getting a GH1 and a fat SD card.

Participant

If your Mac has FW800, there are cables that will work to download your material.

Also worth mentioning, if you were to switch to GH1 with EOS glass, in addition to the adapter, you’d still need to carry a Canon body to set the aperture.  Also, you’ll want no fewer than 2 (more’s better) SD cards, at least class 6, though 10 is safer, especially if you run the high bitrate hacks.  Then you’ll also need external audio capture stuff as the onboard audio is really only good for scratch track…

Participant

Changed my mind all together, I found a 500 dollar recorder that uses CF cards.

Participant

Now the real question is this: If I cannot get the DOF as well or easily rather from the EOS lenses why would I want to use them- with the exception of the telephoto lenses?

Participant

Not sure I understand the question- you can get shallow DOF out of EOS glass, the hitch is that you can’t adjust the aperture in-camera unless you are on a Canon body (or use an adapter that either features its own blades, or a pricier option, like the Birger, which will allow for auto focus and aperture control but isn’t available for all camera bodies).

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap