XL1s newby

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

I have just bought a Canon XL1s as a camera to learn shooting video.

I would appreciate any help or advice members could pass on.

I realize that its old now in terms of HD and other advancements but i thought it might be a cheap way to start out.

I would like to know how to download from the camera to my Mac which i intend to use IMovie to edit.

Thanks in advance,

George.

composite1

George,

I’ve had an XL1s on active inventory since it came out in 2002. Now I haven’t shot with it since 2008 because I’m doing HD work now. However, when I’m doing an exclusive Standard Def gig, I whip that baby back out. Old as it is the XL1s’ still an excellent camera. If you are outputting to DVD or the net, it is still a perfect camera choice.

As for downloading to your mac, as I understand it the later models don’t have firewire which the XL1s offloads video through said connection. If you don’t have firewire available, you’ll need a secondary miniDV tape camcorder or player with USB 2.0 connections to offload directly. The only other option to go from camera to computer for digitization is to get an RCA to USB converter box. That would allow you to connect the camera to the converter and your mac to capture your footage. If your mac has an expansion slot (laptops primarily) you can use a firewire conversion card.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for your helpful reply,

My camera is a 2002 model and does have a DV connection so i assume i need a 4 pin male to 6 pin male cable?

George.

composite1

“My camera is a 2002 model and does have a DV connection so i assume i need a 4 pin male to 6 pin male cable?”

George,

You’ll need a 4-to-4 or 4-to-6 pin depending on what size Firewire input you have on your mac. The XL1s has a 4-pin connector. Does your mac have a firewire input?

Anonymous
      Inactive

You’ll need a 4-to-4 or 4-to-6 pin depending on what size Firewire input
      you have on your mac. The XL1s has a 4-pin connector. Does your mac
      have a firewire input?

The Mac has Firewire 800 but i use an external Lacie drive which has both 800 and 400 so hopefully i,ll be able to get a match for one of those?

composite1

“The Mac has Firewire 800 but i use an external Lacie drive which has
      both 800 and 400 so hopefully i,ll be able to get a match for one of
      those?”

George,

Not sure if you’ll be able to do a pass-thru capture from camera-to-drive-into-computer. Mac’s never struck me as being that forgiving with connections. However, the simplest workaround is a 4-pin to 9-pin cable (4-pin 400 to 9-pin 800.) Here’s a link to what one looks like and where you can purchase it:

Firewire 4-pin 400 to 9-pin 800 cable

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the link,iv,e found one on Amazon which is a reasonable price and will let you know how i get on,

Many thanks for your help,

Regards

George.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN