XL1 vs XL2

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Whats the main difference?

I have a guy offering me a used XL1 for $1600. He says its in great condition with 30 hours use, but I dont know him that well, so its a crap shoot.

I can buy a new XL2 from B&H for like $3500.

I like canon’s (we currently use a canon GL2), so I want to stick with that.

We will be using this for Indie film making.

Can anyone tell me what I would be gaining with the XL2?

Thanks

Participant

That sounds like a great price – I hope you trust the seller. This may sound like a dumb question, but does it come with the lens? (You used to be able to buy it without the lens).

I do not know much about the camera – I looked at it over a year ago – there are some major differences between the XL1 and XL2. There is also an XL1S version which has some major updates.

Check out http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/index.php – it is an XL1/XL2 site that has some articles on the updates and changes between the versions.

Hope this helps.
      Tim P.

Inactive

Sorry, but every time I hear someone say the camera they’re selling only has 30 (or whatever small number of) hours on it, I think back to the one time I was dumb enough to buy a used car from a lot, and the salesman told me "But those are all highway miles". πŸ˜€

Seriously, if you know the guy personally and trust him, the XL1 is comparable to the XL2. Otherwise, just buy a nice new XL2.

However, keep in mind that Canon prosumer cameras are notorious for developing head tracking issues. As such, a used camera has a VERY high liklihood of needing service soon if it’s more than a year or two old, which is likely if it’s a straight XL-1.

One nice thing about the XL2 is that they have finally installed built-in XLR jacks into a camera, so no need for the trusty MA-300 on this one. The stock lens has better zoom, and the camera has a better Lux Rating, but all in all, you’re still looking at the same CCD board, and the same lens style, so picture will be about the same. THE extra cash just gets you extra features that make life easier.

So I suppose what it all comes down to is how easy do you want life to be, and how much is that worth? πŸ™‚

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap