XHA1S Adobe Pro or Vegas Pro

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just bought a new Canon XHA1S and need to know what editing software is better or other recommendations. I am looking at either Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or the Vegas Pro9 . Which is better and why? Or does anyone have a better recommendation for about the same price, Thanks in advance for all your help.

Eric

Inactive

Opinions will be wide and varying. I work with Sony Vegas Pro and I love it. Between the creative control I have with unlimited video tracks, tools, effects…. and the built in audio tools… it’s a powerful package for a lower cost that other NLE’s out there.

John

Eric,

Neither software is ‘better’ as you put it. It all depends on what you want to do and what capabilities you’re looking for.

In a nutshell, Premiere Pro is a really good NLE that isn’t hard to learn or work with. When combined with Photoshop, After Effects and Flash you’ve got one of the most used and powerful set of tools for editing and visual FX. Add Soundbooth and Encore then you get good support for audio and great support for DVD authoring.

With Vegas you get a very strong NLE with very good audio support built-in. Combined with ACID and Sound Forge and you get music and audio editing support that is rivaled only by top of the line software like Pro-Tools and the like. DVD Architect comes with it and it is very easy to use for authoring DVD’s.

I use both in my setup and take advantage of their strengths. Projects that require heavy VFX and Mographics I use the Premiere Suite. For projects heavier on the Audio FX side I use the Vegas Suite. Many times I use Premiere for one portion of a project and Vegas for another portion.

So as I said, it all depends on what you want to do. The important thing up front is either program supports your camera. After that, it all comes down to what capabilities your looking for and how much you want to spend. No NLE software is the ‘end all do all’. If you believe that, I got some swampland in Death Valley you might be interested in buying. Figure out what you want to do and run with that. As time goes on and you get proficient with the program, you’ll learn what best suits your workflow and look for stuff to augment it.

Participant

Appreciate the input. I am leaning towards Adobe. I am needing to make a trailer to present to an investor to make a movie. Plus I will be producing outdoors videos. Do you feel based upon this info that this software will do the trick? Thanks, Eric

Participant

Why don’t you download Vegas and play with it — Sony has all their software available as free, fully functional 30 day trials: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

I believe Adobe has a similar trial available.

Then just play with them both and see which one suits your needs better as well as which one you find easier to use.

Inactive

I really like Vegas. I dont know why, but i think PP is kinda “ugly”, but that is just me. I just prefer to work with vegas, specially because i can see what an effect/transition exactly look like before applying it to my video… that seems rather pathetic, but in all, it does save me some time. And i really like its sound editing powers…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap