xha1 vs z5u — should I upgrade?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I currently have an XH-A1 and was wondering if I would notice a difference in my video quality such as colors, sharpness, etc if I upgraded to a Z5U. Don’t make fun of me, LOL, but I usually film on “auto” except for the focus because I’m not knowledgeable enough to be comfortable changing any settings for fear of ruining the footage. Just so you know, I mainly use it to film spring turkey hunts.

I already have a Sennheiser shotgun mic as well as Sennheiser wireless mics as well as a manfrotto fluid head tripod. I’m just wondering if it’s time to upgrade cameras and improve the quality of what I am filming. How do these cameras compare against each other, or is there something else I haven’t considered?

thanks in advance

Participant

I would suggest getting one of those 50 dollar DVD’s off line on your camera to go with your manualand attempt to learn the A1 before plunking down the coin for a Z5U and hoping for better footage via auto settings in another camera. Not just because I know you can get great footage out of an A1 and not just because you need to get into learninghow to run a camera but also because of all the new technology coming out soon that may provide something better for the outdoors and especially low light.

I was able to really tweak in a GL2 outdoors and get a lot more out of it years ago. Some of the guys I work with on projects still use A1’s and the footage is awesome and its even turkey footage a lot, especially this time of year.

You need to practice and learn to adjust settings ESPECIALLY if the majority of your problem is just setting a custom white balance. I try to film something everyday, even if its just song birds in the back yard while having a cup of coffee in the morning. If you just need an excuse for the Mrs. just tell her 2 of your 3 ccd’s are about to expire and you need to upgrade. (just take her out to dinner first)

But I wouldn’t buy now unless you knew for sure what was going to be the camera for you and your hunting/filming style. A lot of new stuff coming out in regards to outdoor type equipment and then again it might not pan out to be better than a A1 enough to warrant the cash.

You pattern your shotgun before season, you tune your bow before season and you need to learn your camera before season. 🙂

What are you editing with?

Inactive

Thanks, Yeah I know I need to use those manual settings. That’s why I made sure in my post that I was upfront with everyone. I have never had a photography/videography class and really don’t know where to start with any manual settings. I’m definitely not afraid to learn, I just didn’t know how to learn. Any help and suggestions as to what I can do with my a1 or anywhere I can get the info you are talking about is greatly appreciated. I have a mac and final cut express that I am using/learning for my editing. tks again

Participant

WSanford said it “You need to practice..” I would add that you should keep a notebook to record your settings etc. and what you find. Progress is made by keeping records.

Participant

Here is a link to the VASST traing DVDhttp://www.amazon.com/Vasst-Training-DVD-Camcorders-Douglas/dp/B000UJVQ0E

That along with the manual should take you pretty far. Once you get through that if you are not quite satisfied with where you are at just let me know, I can hook you up with some one filming turkey hunts with the same camera. It would really benefit you to go through the training DVD and experiment with settings before talking with some one so you understand what they are saying.

When using the Express version of Final Cut or the consumer version of an NLE, its going to reduce your ability to correct things in post. That in itself puts more importance on how well you run the camera.

Inactive

thanks a bunch guys and thank you extra WSanford. I’m going to have to dig in and get busy.

Participant

Anytime. I’m sure you will improve quite a bit and be much happier with your finished product by learning your camera better.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap