Working With Miniatures

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, I’m new here! I’ve only been working with my camcorder for a few weeks, and I have a question. What is the best way to work with miniatures? I want to put spaceships and things in my movies, and I wanted to know what’s the best way to do that. thanks.

Inactive

There are a few ways to do this.

One way would be to get yourself or even make a table top size green screen background and a floor. It just needs to be a luminescent green that you can key out later. Then you would mount or position your camera in a way so that you can film these miniature objects in front of this green background. If your camera has a macro zoom feature you would want to set it up for that too. Youll also want to also set your camera to manual zoom so the focus doesn’t move around on you. All that’s left is filming from different angles. Dont worry about shooting the objects and moving them because when you key out the background during editing you can move the objects anywhere you want with key frames to simulate the movement. Your background will also do that as well. You will need to shoot the objects by panning your camera around or somehow turning the objects so that you can pick up the 3D effect because that you wont be able do that with key frames. You might want to try to use string thats painted green as well if you want to create like a Star Wars affect with a ship flying in from the top of the screen. Just use your imagination and lay a lot of film down. All thats left is keying out the green, slowing the footage down to give your objects a slow large moving mass effect and the put up some kind of background.

Another way would be if you can get a 3D model because then with a program like After Effects you could move your virtual camera around and it would be a lot more realistic. This of course is a lot more involved and complicated.

The last way and probably the ultimate way would be to use super computers to generate everything like Lucas and Speilberg. πŸ˜€

RAM

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

All good advice (except that I think he meant manual "focus", not manual "zoom"

Opps! :-//

"compusolver" you’re right! There aren’t too many people that can translate what I’m trying to say. πŸ˜€

Regarding the super computers, I’m talking about the ones that the "Big Dogs" use for full blown computer generated animation like in all of the SiFi movies. I think the one studio is called something like" Industrial Light & Magic."

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the advice! I really was thinking of doing the ships with real physical models, as opposed to CGI. I have an idea of how to do it digitally, but I wanted to know how to do it the old fashioned way as well. I think either way will be fairly complicated. I am actually doing the majority of my shooting in my living room!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap