Wireless soundboard transmitter?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys, I used to be on here quite a bit a long time ago, but I didn’t have time for college and the internet. πŸ™‚ Now that I’m done with school, I don’t know if any of the same people are here – haven’t had a chance to look around.

Anyway… my question. I shoot shows for an up-and-coming band. Recently we’ve decided that my on-camera mike just isn’t going to cut it anymore (the tapes were for personal use, so they could watch stage prescence. Audio didn’t matter too much). I’d like my audio to come right from the soundboard, but a cable isn’t practical because I move so much while I’m shooting.

Is there a product that will wirelessly transmit the soundboard audio to something plugged into the mic jack on my camera?

I have a panasonic dv951, but I’m looking into buying an XL1 or XL2 in the next few months. So, I’d use an adapter for my current 1/8″ jack, but XLR would be nice for when I have an XL.

I figure there’s some bluetooth product out there that will do what I want, but I haven’t been able to find it. Retailer or brand suggestions would be great.

Inactive

Nobody…?

Participant

Hi,

Your question interests me and I was hoping someone would respond so that I could learn from it. Others on this forum have more know-how on this, but here’s my reaction to it.

I’ve been shooting bands for a few years and been satisfied with my on-camera mike for the most part (currently VX-2100). The usual venue is unique in that I am literally 3 to 5 feet in front of and level with the band for entire sets with my hand held, sometimes moving up to inches from a keyboard or fretboard. Have even poked my cam between cymbals for drummer drama on New Year’s Eve. (Song was Wipeout; best take of the night.) If the band’s sound production is good, my audio is, generally, good. Often I am recording off of the monitor or monitors aimed back at the band.

Lately, I’ve been paying more attention to audio as feedback from some musicians, not many but a few, has been, great video, but audio not ready for prime time.

My direct anwer to your question is, don’t see why not. (Not helpful…) A lot of bands use wireless mikes; may be a potential conflict with wireless going into and coming out of the board at the same time. Don’t see why; use different frequencies… (Sounds like something the next generation of iPod could handle.) Outputs from the board go to speaker amps. Your wireless mike/transmitter could be placed on or near select speakers with the desired mix. Or find the best sound in the house and hang your mike/transmitter there.

Have the board tech check for available output jacks. Get a digital field recorder, and cable out to the recorder from the board; synch up later. Consider cabling out to a camera on a tripod, if a multiple camera shoot.
      Also, my experience (in Anchorage, Baltimore, and DC) is that VERY VERY VERY frequently, the sound board in small/medium clubs (medium is capacity to 150 or so) is only mixing the vocals, so that sound board output however captured would be very vocal heavy, which may or may not suit your purpose.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

Thanks for the ideas!

Yeah, usually we’ve got guitar and amp set up on mesa boogies, and lately we’ve been mixing into a couple of B-52s. Depending on the venue we usually mix everything through the soundboard (except drums, with the exception of a kick-mic).

The audio is fine on my camera depending on where I am. The last show was outside, and the audio was great until I stood next the B-52s. It started clipping, which I didn’t realize would happen because I wear ear-plugs.

It sounds like maybe the best option is to run a cable from the soundboard to an extra recorder or camera. Maybe I’ll end up with my XL1s/2 sooner than I thought and I can record audio on my current camera.

I’ve heard you need an atenuator to go soundboard to camera… anyone clarify? Would I need the same thing to record to a digital audio deck?

Inactive

better yet… anyone have suggestions for an affordable audio field recorder?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap