Wireless mics have only limited channels

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Wireless mics have only limited channels

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have done some checking on some of the AZDEN wireless mics. For example: the WMS-Pro VHF (which was recommended to me) only has two different channels.

I’ve done some research on VHF vs UHF. since UHF is a higher frequency there is less of a chance of interference. But since VHF is a lower frequency, it is more prone to regular interference.

2 channels does not seem like a sufficient amount considering all of the radio feedback that is all around us. There seems to be no room for channel changing if there is interference. Some of the higher end AZDEN have around 65 channels (or so).

My question is this:
      Has anyone that has used a setup such as with the less expensive, 2 channel (max) capabilities of the WMS-Pro VHF had any (or many) incidences of interference?
      Could anyone recommend anything for something such as this?

Thank you for any input.
      Brandon0409

Inactive

I own a Azden duel and a single channel wireless UHF receiver setup. When I was doing my research way back, I was finding out that at on point in time VHF was not a bad choice but in today’s day and age with all of the different signals going on out there, VHF was not highly recommend anymore. This is why I went with UHF because it was less prone to interference and you had 20+ channels to switch too in case you did step on another signal accidentally.

I guess you have to ask yourself, do I want to go the cheap way and run the risk of video recording a wedding and all of a sudden instead of picking up "I do", you’re picking up Michael Jackson singing "Beat It!" or do you spend the extra money and go with UHF to avoid that potential problem? Just like anything else in life you get what you pay for.

This is my opinion of course.
      8)
      RAM

Inactive

RAM makes a great point. VHF can pick up so many different things, from radio transmitters, to walkie-talkies, to all sorts of other goodies. I used to have several VHF lapel mics, from a crappy $50 Tandy (Radio Shack) to something similar to the PRO series from Azden.

The sound quality is lower on VHF, plus it has much larger "dead zones" indoors. Because the band is wider, VHF mics can have 3 foot wide dead spots, wheras UHF is usually 6 inches to a foot wide. Taking that to Wedding videos, The VHF mics can lose signal in an area as big as the area the pastor, bride, and groom are stading in on stage, where a good UHF might only lose signal for a second if the pastor shifts his position during the ceremony.

Of course, UHF isn’t a miracle child, either. The upper bands of Uhf (900’s+) are used by stuff like garage door openers, cordless phones, wireless transmitters, etc… which can give you a lot of noise.

Your best bet is to aim for a mid-range UHF setup. I have Azdens 200ULT package that comes with two mics. The other nice thing is that you can’t accidentally switch frequencies on these mich, unlike their VHF counterparts with the frequency switch right on top, in line with the power switch.

Ultimately, it’s up to yu though. Either mic will work beautifully under ideal circumstances, and each mic has issues tht make some circumstances less than ideal. But if you have the budget, I’d go with UHF

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap