Wireless Mic 700 mHz Ban

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      John
      Participant

In May, 2008, I purchased a wireless microphone setup – receiver and two body packs. Now, after readinga recent article in Videomaker, and doing some research I find out:

• The microphone system I purchased operates in the proposed banned frequencies

• Technically, Iam using it illegally, as only broadcasting, cableand film production companies are allowed to use this band(although I guess I qualify in that regard), and you must be licensed through the FCC.

• There is a lawsuit pending, seeking to force various companies (microphone companies primarily) to replace the banned equipment at their expense, since these companies allegedly knowingly promoted the use of unlicensed wireless mics for purposes other than the ones indicated above, by the general public.

I was wondering….did I get this situation right? If so, has anyone heard what the current status of the lawsuit is? Or what my liability will be if I continue to use my existing setup? Or am I overly concerned about the situation?

Right now, I intend to keep using the wireless setup I have now until I read otherwise. Also, I intend to contact the FCC to determine what I need to do to become properly licensed.

Thanks!

John
      Participant

In May, 2008, I purchased a wireless microphone setup – receiver and two body packs. Now, after readinga recent article in Videomaker, and doing some research I find out:

• The microphone system I purchased operates in the proposed banned frequencies
      • Technically, Iam using it illegally, as only broadcasting, cableand film production companies are allowed to use this band(although I guess I qualify in that regard), and you must be licensed through the FCC.
      • There is a lawsuit pending, seeking to force various companies (microphone companies primarily) to replace the banned equipment at their expense, since these companies allegedly knowingly promoted the use of unlicensed wireless mics for purposes other than the ones indicated above, by the general public.

I was wondering….did I get this situation right? If so, has anyone heard what the current status of the lawsuit is? Or what my liability will be if I continue to use my existing setup? Or am I overly concerned about the situation? Right now, I intend to keep using the wireless setup I have now until I read otherwise. Also, I intend to contact the FCC to determine what I need to do to become properly licensed. Thanks!

My apologies for not researching this more fully in the forums and magazine, I guess this has been floating around since at least August. Any new updates? Or is everyone just waiting to see what the result of the lawsuit is?

Anonymous
      Inactive

As far as I know, its a federal offense to voice-record someone without their knowledge/permission. (regardless if you are media/press/etc…)

Not to butt in(since I’m a newbie on these boards)……. but I was just wondering….. If you are afraid of a lawsuit – then whydo you CONTINUE to use this setup?

brandon0409
      Participant

I don’t think that recording someone without their knowledge was the question. Everyone already know the legality of that.

He want to know about whether or not it is officially against the law (now), and when it will become that way. At least that is what I gathered from his post.

Personally, I think that if it is currently illegal, then those retailers who are selling the devices should be obligated to inform the buyer of these restrictions.

OR

No longer be able to sell the devices unless the buyer has a license to operate the device.

I know that I have seen the wireless devices in stores and on the internet (B&H). As far as I understood the situation, I think that the law does not go into effect until the Digital Transition (for broadcast TV) goes into effect.

brandon0409
      Participant

Oh, and I was wondering…

Does this new ban include those little walkie talkies that are so popular right now? You know, the ones that everyone carries around amusement parks.

I was wondering because, I use these to communicate with my assistant while filming weddings and other events.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Does this new ban include those little walkie talkies that are so popular right now? You know, the ones that everyone carries around amusement parks

onlyif they operate in that frequency band

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Sound’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN