Wireless Mic

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Participant

Shaun, from my experience with my wireless mics, you will need an omnidirectional mic to get both the bride and groom with one mic. But if you want to use it out side a cardioid lav. with a good wind screen is what you want. The omni mic will work but you may pick up noise you don’t want.

As far as the freq’s if you bought the same you will need to have them on different channels so there is no interference between them.

One thing that is nice about the Sony is the selectable mic/line input. You could use the line in toconnect to a soundboard and send a signal to your camera or sound recorder.

Inactive

A wireless mic’s hardware/components determine what frequency range it is able to utilize. Because of that limitation a particular transmitter/receiver may only be able to cover part of the available UHF band, so that is why you can buy essentially identical wireless systems only with different freq capabilities. It doesn’t fundamentally effect how they work or the quality of the sound.

The reason you might want to choose one frequency range over another depends on your use circumstance, including number of mics needed at one time, location (i.e. urban city vs. rural suburb), RF congestion (other RF equipment or neighboring venues, etc.), and TV broadcasting. For instance, if you know you need a certain number of working channels, and you know frequency channels that are already being used by surrounding equipment and/or TV stations, that might give you a better idea of which frequency range would give you the most flexibility and available channels in your specific location. If you only need a few channels and you’re not in a heavily congested area, either range will probably be fine.

If you’re getting multiple wireless systems it’s usually better to get them in the same freq range, that way all of your transmitters and receivers will all work together interchangeably. Remember each frequency range can support many individual channels/signals, you don’t need models with different ranges to use more than one at a time. Each pair will simply be set to a different specific frequency within the available range. Usually it says on the product spec sheet how many channels the range/bandwidth can theoretically support.

I can’t comment on the included lavs as I haven’t used the particular system you’re looking at.

Hope this helps

http://www.audiojungle.net

I have had excellent results with the Sony system you list. The other, the wireless plug-in, would enable you to utilize any handheld mic in your tool chest that has an XLR connection. As you are able to set the frequencies independently, you’d want to use two systems with different frequencies as opposed to using the same on both. But that isn’t ALWAYS a bad thing. I’ve had systems where I used one receiver to capture the signal from two units, feeding the mix into my camcorder or ZoomH2 recorder.

Participant

Yea, I got the sony, but this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553681-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_3032_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html as I didn’t have the need to add the xlr transmitter unit.. at least right now… and I have some work arounds if I do need that eventually, or I’ll just buy that one part. Either way.. thanks all.. can’t wait to get it!

Participant

woah this thing is a Cadillac compared to what I had! Rugged, easy to use and long strong range…. even great in the wind.. very impressed… thanks all! The ONLY gripe is that the antenna aren’t user removable, so sony will have to service them if they ever break… luckily they look really durable so i’m not that concerned… just a fyi for those looking to buy in the future. If you are rough with your stuff, spend the extra $100+ bones for the Sennheiser…

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap