Wireless LAV setup for First time user.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Wireless LAV setup for First time user.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I’m just running out of time.

I’ve never used a wireless LAV setup before, I wanted to buy enough gear for two hosts on screen (interview style). Are there any tutorials our guides out there you can point me to?

Also, could someone give me a list of what kind of gear I will need. We shoot on location so it must be portable and our camera is a Canon GL2 with an SLR attachment.

And of course budget is always an issue…consider this a school project. So, anything under $300 available?

Thanks in advance!

Participant

$300 isn’t much of a budget, especially if they’re going to be permanent fixtures. But if you’re just looking for something inexpensive and basic you could get a couple of THESE, route them into a BASIC MIXER or COMBINER and run the outputs into your GL2. Or, you could spend a little more and get a DUAL LAV setup from a single receiver and eliminate the mixer and combiner.

Inactive

For two wireless mics, $300 won’t get you anything significantly better than your onboard camera mic, sadly. I typically budget a minimum of $300 per mic, honestly.

If you’re willing to up your budget a little but, I bought the Azden 200ULT about a year and a half ago, and I love it. It’s two wireless lapel mics, a receiver, and the best part of all, it mounts directly to your camcorder and plugs directly into your microphone jack, thus saving you the need for a mixing board, etc. Your onboard level controls on the gl-2 will be perfect. The one and only downside: It’s not a true diversity unit, so you have a better chance for audio dropout. But honestly, in the several dozen weddings I’ve done with this model, I’ve never had a problem myself.

I did a quick google search, and the cheapest one I found was $530, not including the shipping. But I can say from experience, this is a great mic. Plus, it has over 60 different channels to pick from, so even in a big sity, you won’t have a problem avoiding interference.

Participant

Thanks guys – I should have know $300 was a dream number – I was looking at that Shure Duel Mic setup, and your right, Moglepro, this will be a permanant fixture so it will be worth uping the budget. Thanks again for help!

C/S

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap