Windows XP death date

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

the July 2008 issue of PCWorld Magazinesays:

“…XP is leaner, meaner, and less bloated than Vista. Despite the outcry from users, however, at press time Microsoft still planned to retire the OS[XP] on June 30, 2008.”*

That’s horrible. I hate Vista and the fact that XP is going away in 9 days isbad news to me.

I’ll stick with XP as long as I can and then maybe switch to Linux or (oh no!)a Mac.

For those PC people who are buying a new editing computer, you have 9 days.

*PC World Magazine, July 2008 issue; pg. 92, right column

Participant

When I bought my Dell a couple of months ago I specified XP pro be put on it. Not sad in the least. Even if they don’t support it I’ll still use it.

j

Inactive

wonder how much the market for xp is going to go up at sites like ebay…

Participant

maybe, it will be a murder-suicide, and it’ll take out vista before it goes…..

lol!

Inactive

Don’t despair too much. Plenty of stores will still sell XP, and you can always try to find legal copies on eBay.

Viva ‘le XP

Inactive

I’ve heard Vista sucks ass.

I’m currently using XP. How many gigabytes would a 45 minute video take up on my hard drive for editing purposes? I have a 70 gigabyte setup now and have about half of it filled up.

Inactive

Maverick, when working with dv files, a typical hour of dv avi is 13 gig. From what I gather from your post, you have one hard drive. I advise you to get a dedicated drive for your video files, do not capture to your system drive that contains the operating system and programs.

John

Inactive

Wonderful idea. Thanks for the tip.

How big of a dedicated hard drive should I consider for video editing and file storage? Does the size of the drive have any effect on editing speed and ease of use? I’d rather not be hamstrung by a slow system that’s on overload in case I underestimate my needs.

Inactive

I don’t get why Vista is so bad. I switched from XP to Vista and really didn’t notice much of a difference.(Other than the look of it). Anyways, goodbye XP.

Inactive

I don’t get why Vista is so bad. I switched from XP to Vista and really didn’t notice much of a difference.(Other than the look of it). Anyways, goodbye XP.

I don’t mind Vista as much as I’d thought that I would – when my XP system died, I went out and switched to Mac for a while, when I needed a PC for work, I went with Vista – but I will say that it’s nowhere near as stable as XP (something I miss)

Participant

Maverick,

I was once told by a teacher, “I don’t fill up my hard drives more than half it’s capacity because then it’s only working half as good.”

Hard drives are so cheap these days. I got a 250GB LaCie in 2005 for $250. Now, you can get a 1TB hard drive for like, $300. Just get a bunch of hard drive space.

If you want a good investment, buy some RAM for your computer. I’ve got 5GB in mine. Works seamlessly with DV. Haven’t used HD yet though.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap