WINDOWS LIVE MOVIE MAKER ?

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been messing around with this program on my new computer and something is really bothering me. When i connect my camera and start to upload video it only gives me 2 options, upload entire tape or burn to dvd. Now if you go to entire tape it automatically rewinds to the beginning. I have tapes where i only want a few sections out of it, if i stop anything,try to FF,etc or touch the camera it stops and you have to start all over. Does anyone know a way where i can sift through and only pick out parts i want on the tape?

It sucks because on some tapes i may only want the last 10mins of footage on the tape but i have to upload the entire tape just to get that.

Participant

Check out AVS4You.com.  I buy the lifetime subscription for my PCs and use 3 or 4 tools on a regular basis.  You could use the Video Editor or Video Recording tool to transfer just the “footage” you want or transfer it all and and chop it up into scenes – manually with the Multi-Trim funcion or automatically with Scene Detection (takes longer).

Participant

ok ya i was juts messing around with this. does avs have good transitions?

Participant

igotthat, Movie Maker, it is FREE. Not much else to say. You get what you pay for. You will not find any good options, or transitions etc. And it has its issues. A FREE program is just that FREE. Microsoft for one is NOT going to give anything away that has some nice candy with it. Movie Maker is for the most basic YouTuber, but from your questions you want more. So since I am totally anti-Movie Maker because it gives quality videos a bad name I will nudge you in a different direction.

Corel VSX4 Pro
      http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3910160&cid=catalog20038&segid=1153

download the 30 day FULLY Functional NO watermark ever feature active trial. Test it out. And as you can see the price is the lowest it has ever been. When I started using this it exceeded $100.00. And there is a really good reason why the price has dropped so much this year. They did not release an X5 but instead did something so much better, released a nice serious addon…
      http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4130080&cid=catalog20038&segid=6200022

This added package is sooooo sweet. I have started using it and am AMAZED, it was well worth the price.

Some of the things you want to do with Movie Maker you will not be able to do. FREE means practically no choices default everything and Microsoft’s way. You sound like someone wanting to take the next step. There are many other NL Editing programs but VS has been and always shall be my fav. (pun on Star Trek there)

Participant

Tasana, Thanks alot im going to get the trial and see how it goes. I definitely want more than whats in movie maker, it just came on my new comp so i was messing around with it, not impressed and im totally new to editing.

Participant

AVS4You Video Editor has a lot of nice transitions, and they are adjustable.  Drag the transition to the transition track and right-click to edit the parameters.

I recently downloaded the Corel product, too (could have purchased Vegas Pro with the money invested in all of these “home studio” versions, but…).  Call Corel and speak with a live sales rep when ready to buy, they can make some great deals by discounting or bundling other programs.  The Video and Photo Bundle for $79.  They have a really cool 3d Text animator, too (got it for $79).

Participant

@cfxcrop You will be well pleased with the 3d Text editor. I have created some things with it, it is easy and hard, a least for me. I have been using Corel since the very first NL editor they made, and their photo program. When you make your account online they keep a complete history of all your products with the key and download link. Do no matter how many years from now you can log into your account and download your products at any time and still have the key. Really nice. VSX4 does not have some of the effects with SVP or Adobe, however I have been able to be very creative with the many video lines and came up with some nice tricks to get effects never thought of. There are a couple of Corel yuotube channels for a stepxstep process of all their products.One nice thing about their products is out of the box it works, but they have so much more. Their photo editing software and 3d text software has the tie in export factor to VSX4. But then there are a few things that are not as easy to know that you get.

1) After activating VSX4 you get about 2gb worth of toys, to get them. Open VSX4 and you should be prompted for an update it is a huge SP Patch, get it.

2) After restarting look in the upper right hand corner, you will see an Orange circle with an arrow, click that. When the box opens click Do More. Here you will find a lot of extra title effects and transitions, they are all free. Click on the ones you want, download and then read the agreement and install. There are a lot of them. Once done

3) Look on the timeline just above it, you will see an “filmstrip with weird S” logo, click that (it takes a minute to load this) this is the music editor, you will be prompted to do 2 major updates, this will download about 1 gb of royalty free music that has every mood and tempo you can dream of, and the music editor will match the start and end that you set when you drag it into the time line. This will take some time to download.

4) Once all these updates are done, restart then click on the orange circle again, when you do you should be prompted for another SP patch, and once again after applying you should be able to go back to DO MORE and pick up some more toys.

VSX4 also comes with “Quick Transitions” and “Quick Intros” It is one of the logos above the timeline, once you click it your window will change and from there is it easy to see what will happen.

It has a great DVD creation tool as well with some really great menus and DVD options, even BD. You will need to update this as well.

There is a user tip forum here

http://forum.corel.com/EN/index.php?sid=e40382bf033551121be357dc10b9f86c

You should also install the free NuBlue package link that you got as well. That adds a really nice nice lighting effect. There is one more link I wanted to post but it is on my computer and I am currently on my wife’s. But it a site not showing up in searches, but you can download a lot more effects for free, all created by users. I will post it later. I hope this was helpful?

Participant

iv been trying to use corel and it will not install, keep stopping at the black box that says corel when you start install

Participant

igotthat, is this the trial or do you have a key. Also if using Vista or W7 you have to approve the install, if you are not getting the approval popup, go into the control panel then users then your account. TURN off Account Control Settings. Then RESTART the computer. Then install Corel. Sometimes win installing an application in Vista or W7 the permission box does not work right. Once installed turn UAC back on, great help in viruses.

Participant

trial, yes it has asked me to approve and i click yes. then the black box pops up with corel in upper left the install bar comes up thendisappearsinstantly leaving the box just completely black with nothing. the “next” button is not available to click only the cancel button. and yes i have windows 7.

the files are on my comp it just wont actually install the program.

Participant

this is what happens every time, it just stops here and does nothing

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Participant

How big is the file? It should be 785,576KB or 800MB. You may have a corrupted file download due to what is called a bad checksum. Although the file size may be reported correctly if the checksum, the header information is bad, then the file information is bad.
      How long did you give to install?

I built my own computer and it is a powerful beast but it can take up to 40 minutes to install VSX4, it is a huge application and sometimes will take some time to install.

You may want to delete the download you did and try again to download it. I would also turn off UAC just to be sure there is not some hangup there. Also their may be a Corel popup behind the black box that you can’t see because when a Corel product installs it tends to not let you minimize the install windows, so look at the task bar and see if you have anything to note there that might be asking for a second permission.

Participant

size says 824mb

Participant

827 actually

Participant

i have let it sit like that for a while butshouldn’tit show something besides just that black screen?? there is no progress bar, no nothing, just exactly what you see in that pic.

Participant

Do you care to do another screen shot but get your task bar?

Participant

Found the answer to your install problem, (We hear the clapping of hands and the crowds yelling his name) This seems to be an issue with SOME UAC on some accounts with W7, So Corel in all their wisdom has posted a little help here you go, print this out and follow the directions even if it sounds stupid or redundant.

http://corel.force.com/index/articles/en_US/Master_Article/764577-Installation-window-only-contains-the-program-name-no-content-and-the-Next-button-is-greyed-out?retURL=%2Fapex%2Fkbsearchresultspage&popup=false&lang=en_US&productTopCategory=Digital_Media&applicationSubCategory=VideoStudio&productSubCategory=DC_87814&topicCategory=NONE&topicCategoryText=NONE&subTopicCategory=NONE&subTopicCategoryText=NONE&articleId=kA060000000L0oy

Participant

this program seems like morehasslethen its worth. i created another account now when i go to the corel website thedownloadtrialbuttondoesn’teven work under the new account name only the old one. ill move onto another program, iv spent hours and hours messing with this.

Participant

Take a look at Magix’s Movie Edit MX Premium – on sale for $79.00 this weekend and $300 worth of add-ons free.  It is not their top-of-the-line Pro version, but it does allow two-camera editing like Vegas Pro (which allows more than two).  I am impressed with what I have seen so far for a consumer grade product.

Participant

@Tasano Studios:  Thanks for the tips, I already installed it a few weeks ago and have been tinkering with it.  I have come to the conclusion that I have spent so many SMALL dollars on so many consumer-grade editors — that I could have spent BIGGER dollars on Vegas Pro (upgrade from Studio version is about $489).  But, because I am an amateur I just want to get the simple work done quickly without getting bogged down navigating through more complex features — or, perhaps I don’t want to negotiate the CURVE called learning.

Sad, isn’t it?

Participant

@igotthat:  When you encounter problems like that it can also be your Security Software Suite.  I had similar problems at work and after booting to “Safe Mode with Networking” the program would install properly.

Participant

cfx i may try that iv been messing with corel for a few days and am way to frustrated to even mess with itanymore, iv tried everything including my security software all the way off.

Participant

if i bought the boxed version of this with hard disc would i have the same install problems? i know someone who has it and will sell it to me for $30

Participant

@igotthat, I do not know, but something you need to be forewarned about with Corel products, you can resale and reactivate any Corel, but you can’t register it with Corel under your name, so every 30 days you wiil get a popup asking you to register. It is legal, active and will update, but it will not be your according to Corel’s database and therefore I do not believe you would be entitled to future upgrades from this version.

I know it can be frustrating when an install goes wrong. And I think you did every step in that long post I sent, but there may be another issue I do not believe ti is the program.

Participant

ya idk it cant be anything with the computer its only 2 weeks old and iv only even turned it on like 3 times. i have another i use for surfing web,etc..

Participant

I just want to pipe in about AVS4U Video Pad Editor. If you are working with moderate to high quality video, it will degrade the quality noticeably, apparently because it can’t handle high quality video. This by their own statement on their forums. It degrades it at import: it’s not just a temp measure and you cannot opt to improve it. I noticed it and spent some time trying to fix it with output options etc, then somebody asked the question and the reply was that it was by design.

Participant

Thanks for the info, im working with 1080 most and some sd from a xl2.

Participant

I don’t think it degrades so much by frame size as by compression, which starts to introduce artefacts and such.

Nick

Participant

Glad to see you are using the AVS software ‘cfxcorp’; Me too. It’s the best US$59-worth on the market. ‘Video-Remaker’ alone, is worth the money.

Ian Smith – Dunedin, New Zealand

Participant

@Ian: I really like it for the work I do – usually church and school related events – posted to youtube or burned to DVD.  So the quality is fine.

@Nick: VideoPad Editor is marketed by NCH software.  Are you confusing the AVS4You product or is it actually the same one marketed by both companies?  I have not experienced the issues you mentioned.

Participant

Yeah sorry it was a slip of the keys. Not VideoPad. AVS4u editor.

Participant

I’ll watch for those issues since I use the AVS4You frequently.

What products do you use or prefer?

Participant

Just load up a really HD HQ video and look for quality drop-off. To me and another person that asked it was pretty bad.

As for what I use, I am still struggling to find one that gets it all right. I get one that does something well, then the sound goes of sync. I find one that seems OK and something else does not work right. This not just a matter of wrong settings by me, as far as I can see. It is something that does not work properly, even between two different videos that are the same format etc.

EDIT: HAH! I had a heap of trouble with one programme. The developers were really trying to help….then I updated my video card drivers. Must have been the first time I was not told to do that, and the only time it actually worked πŸ™‚

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap