Will a new computer make CS3 run faster (VIRGIN EDITER)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Will a new computer make CS3 run faster (VIRGIN EDITER)

• This topic has 11 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I was wonder, i have just started a small project for my school and was wondering if Adobe Premiere CS3 will run (export to Mpeg, Render) faster in a(for example) QUAD-CORE 2.2ghz4GB ramsystem versus a Pentium 4 system2.8 4GB RAM.

Participant

yes

Participant

yes, but probably not as much as you’d think…

1 or 2 good processor along with 1 or 2 good 512 graphics cards will do the trick….

if you have an extra $2000-$4000, 1 or 2 1.5GB graphics cards will really do the trick.

Participant

It will be at least 4 times faster, probably closer to 10 times faster, and the graphics card won’t make that much difference πŸ˜‰

Any 512mb graphics card that supports GPU effects and transitions will work just fine.

Participant

As an example:

Last year I bought a new computer:

Old computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, P4 3.0ghz with HT, 256 nVidia Graphics card, 2.5gb of RAM.

New computer is a Dell Precision 490, two dual core Zeon 3.0ghz processors and a 512mb nVidia graphics card, 4gb of RAM

Not much difference in video or RAM, mainly the processor which is what Premiere Elements uses mostly for rendering and encoding.
    My render and encoding times were as much as 10 times faster depending on the effects and transitions used. It’s all in the CPU when it comes to video. Yes the graphics card will make some difference, between 128mb and 512mb video there would be a noticeable difference, after 512mb probably not much if any noticeable difference. RAM will also matter, 1GB is not enough, these days 2GB is probably not enough. 3 or 4 should be just fine.

Here is a article on recommended system specs for video editing

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1640

Participant

“graphics card won’t make that much difference”

Depends what card you get and how many….Graphics cards will reduce the workload of the CPU thus increasing the effieciency of your processor(s) exponentially….I will admit, premium graphics cards/GPU’sare more improtant when working with motion graphics, animations, or 3D modeling.

Participant

Premiere Elements does not utilize the graphics card resources well at all, never has.
    It is a very CPU hungry application as is its big brother Premiere Pro.

You are correct about 3D modeling, CAD, Animation and motion graphics software using the graphics card resources more efficiently, we have often wished that was the case with Premiere Elements also.

now here’s a noob question, have more then 1 video card will make the computer render faster? Sorry but i though renders relied on cpu power and ram.

Participant

now here’s a noob question, have more then 1 video card will make the computer render faster? Sorry but i though renders relied on cpu power and ram.

Rendering and Encoding are done by the CPU and RAM you are correct. The video card will help with preview and applying GPU effects and transitions, that’s all.

Participant

Perhaps I overstated the importance of video cards as it relates to newer users…but I thinkthat’s better then understating their improtance in having an overall efficient workflow….

I think it’s beneficial to build a system around SLI technology that will allow you to start with more basic processors and grahics cards (to keep costs down) but will enable you to upgrade to multiple premium processors and video cards in the future when your work will actually benifit from such upgrades.

It is important to note that video cards will begin to play more of an important role in rendering as parallel computer processing architecture such as CUDA in some Nvidia graphics cards starts to infiltrate the market. “CUDA unleashes new capabilities to solve highly complex challenges such as real-time ray tracing, video encoding, and interactive volume rendering.”

Participant

Coreece, Until the software catches up to the technology it is not worth the cost, IMO.

As it stands right now there is no video editing application that makes good use of Video Memory or GPU.
    When that times comes I will be sure to get on board, but for now the standard 512mb graphics card works just fine πŸ™‚

Chuck Coreece,

Actually you’re both right. The CPU does the heavy lifting on rendering, but it also tells the graphics card what to render. The graphics card’s capabilities really come into play during rendering ofHD, 3D and complex motion graphics. Again, Chuck is right in that most software doesn’t take full use of video memory’s capabilities. However Coreece is also correct in that as long as the intended software has drivers written to take advantage of a given card’s capabilities the card will provide parallel processing power.

So then will more than 1 video card help speed up renders? Again, if theNLEsoftware has drivers specifically written for the given card and has multi-card support then yes. Before you buy a pre-made or build a system, it reaaaalllly helps to research the recommended system requirements for your potential software beyond reading them on the side of the box. Here’s an example with adobe CS4 and graphics cards: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405445&sliceId=2

Next thing you should ask is; workstation or gamer graphics card? Up front, workstation is the obvious answer for serious NLE and mographic work. However, (there’s always one of those nearby) gamer technology is always one step ahead and more cost-effective in the short-run. SLI technology is driven by gamer tech so having hardware (mobo, RAM and graphic cards) that can take advantage of SLI’s capabilities can be of great assistance for video/film professionals. Now, should you spend the money for a high-end workstation card with 1GB or more built-in RAM or get more than one gamer card for less? Once more you’ll have to go ‘into the research breach’ and check out what’s going to be the best value for the level of work your doing. Other than price, the real indicators are the benchmark speeds. Two other completely overlooked aspects are; the size of the card and how much power it’s going to draw. On our latest build, we had an over-clockedgeoforce card but had to get rid of it because it was massive! You couldn’t get anything else in the system because of the huge cooling fins and water tubing! We settled on a PNY Geoforce 8800 GT 512 for the same price (less than $300) as the ‘fin monster’. Month’s later, we added a second card (for half what we paid.) Oh, and don’t neglect how much power a workstation or multiple cards will draw.You’ll need a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) in excess of 200w beyond the system’s power supply tohave safe back-up power. Once you get past 700w UPS’s start gettingexpensive!

Now with two cards and a 2.4 Quadcore Intel CPU, single frame 3D lanscape renders in Bryce @ 1280 x 720 take about 5 seconds. A complex motion 8 second complex mographic render in AFX C3 @ 720p avitook 6 minutes. Having two cards is a noticable improvement on render times. A comparable workstation graphics card will perform in the same neighborhood benchmark wise (maybe a little faster), but we didn’t spend $600 – $2k for the same performance.

Unless you’re doing hardcore finishing work for broadcast or theatrical release, it’s hard to justify the money on a workstation card when medium to high-end gamer cards can get you in the neighborhood for less. No matter what you get, do your research to make sure all your ‘toys are going to play nice together.’

• Viewing 11 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap