Will a Celeron handle it?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m needing to buy a notebook PC pretty soon, and I don’t expect to do anything more demanding than capturing video over firewire and doing some simple fade & cut editing. Rendering & burning is a possibility, but I think most of the time I’ll use my desktop machine for this.

Will one of the newer Celeron M processors be able to handle this kind of thing?

Obviously a Pentium M would be nice, but they’re awfully pricey. If I go that route, my machine will end up running about $1200. I think I could configure a Celeron M based machine for several hundred dollars less..

I don’t do any gaming, so the video stuff would be the most demanding use that I can think of..

Opinions?

Inactive

PLEASE don’t go for Celeron!!! And definately don’t go for Centrino!!! Celeron’s just don’t cut it and Centrino’s sacrifice processing power for battery life.

Participant

Rocktooloud Wrote:

PLEASE don’t go for Celeron!!! And definately don’t go for Centrino!!! Celeron’s just don’t cut it and Centrino’s sacrifice processing power for battery life.

Do you have experience to back up your reasoning? Have you tried to capture or lightly edit video on a Centrino machine?

FYI – Centrino isn’t a processor.. Centrino is a marketing tagline for a notebook with the package of a Pentium-M processor, Intel’s 855 Chipset, and one of Intel’s wireless cards..

And yes, the Pentium-M (and Celeron-M for that matter) will cut back on it’s processing power when they’re sitting idle. When you’re using high demand applications though, they’ll operate at full speed. It’s a good feature that lets you last a much longer time on battery power.

Inactive

I have not tried to capture or lightly edit video on a Centrino machine. But consider this: A Nissan Altima is a nice car, but I don’t expect it to perform like a Ferrari. I know you said you will probably only use it for capturing and light editing, however I doubt you can run a stable editing environment on such a weak processor: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/celeron_m/
      I have also said many times how Intel is better than AMD for video. But when it comes to notebooks, the Turion 64s and Athlon 64s are better than anything Intel has to offer.

So that’s my 2 cents. I hope the Celeron M’s work well for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap