Widescreen monitors to watch 4:3 images

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How do you get a 16:9 monitor to show 4:3 pictures without the subject looking short and fat and everything stretched out? I had read in a Videomaker article that there was a switch on 16:9 monitors which enabled switching between 16:9 and 4:3,or that the monitor carried a menu in which the same thing could be done. Recently I bought a Samsung Monitor (model : Syncmaster 920LM) and can find neither switch nor anything in the menu which would allow this.Can anybody help?It is well nigh impossible these days to find a flat screen 4:3 monitor.

Rob
      Participant

I believe the monitor has tospecificallybe able to show both 16:9 and 4:3. If it doesn’t do both, then you’re stuck.

Rob
      Participant

Maybe you can cheat it by setting your timeline in your NLE to edit 16:9, but really edit your 4:3 footage on that timeline. It will have the black wings on the side, but at least it won’t be squashed. Then when you’re all done editing, change the timeline settings back to 4:3. Then export to tape or whatev.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN