Widescreen miniDV??…true?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

if a miniDV shoots in widescreen what is the actual resolution is it like 640×480 but just reduced the width to around 640×320(just my guess) or is it true 720×480?????….is the resolution cutted or is it like the lens expanded more width-wise (i know not literally expanded) but you know..is the quality reduced if it shoots in widescreen..im not talking about like the GL2 which has the LCD screen in a 4:3 ratio…Im talking about camcorders that have the 16:9 widescreen LCD…is the size of the video made bigger??

Participant

16x9is true 720 x 480 and the resolution is the same as4:3 720×480.

These two formats both use rectangular pixels, the only difference is the the 16×9 pixel is wider than it is long and a 4:3 pixel is longer than it is wide.

Does this help?

I will try to find an illustration if you need one.

Participant

I think I understand your question a little better, and yes…footage that would nomally be at the top and bottom of 4:3video would be “cutoff” on 16×9 footage, but the 16×9 footage will have extra video on the sides that would normally be “cutoff” in 4:3 footage…but thay still have the same amount of pixels. One is neither better than the other, it’s just a matter of preference.

Participant

yeah that helped…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap