WideScreen capture problems

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, there I am totally new to forums but I am having quite a problem and need help. I have a Sony Dcr Vx2000 (Pal Model) and I am currently working on a new project (Bmx documentary in Malta) where I am filming it in wide screen mode. But I am having problems when it comes to capturing in Premier Pro. First of all I cannot seem to find a project with sequence settings that match the footage, so when I do capture the footage needs to be rendered every time in the sequence (Red bar appears up top) and my second problem is that when i do check the files properties (get info on MAc) most of the clips appear to have mixed resolutions, some are at 1280×576, some are at 1040×576 and also 720×576 I cannot understand why this is happening as I these are clips being captured all from the same tape in the same project. And by this happening I am loosing a lot of quality and cannot work on the footage as easily… any help?

Participant

I may be able to help you a little, as I have been filming in Widescreen formats since the mid 1970’s; in those days, of course, using film and ‘anamorphic’ lenses. In fact, I have virtually neverused anything else since, and it remains a mystery to me why the rest of the world was so slow to catch-up, (or ‘catch-on’, take your pick).However, I have no experience of’Premiere Pro’ but use another, and much less expensive, product, (with 99 percent satisfaction).

It would appear to me, that if your footage is in a range of formats, (youhave mentioned 1280 x 576 down to 720 x 576), it must have been captured that way. I cannot imagine anyone competent doing that, though, and the clear way you have explained your problem would point to that not being the case. The other possibility, would seem to be that you have failed to set-upthe 16:9 aspect-ratio in your ‘preferences’ prior to loading your clips onto the timeline, or that the prefs have been changed at some time in-between capturing sessions, possibly by someone else using your computer. Was the format definitely locked onto 16:9, for instance, or is there some possibility that it may havebeen set back to 4:3, (for whatever reason), and perhaps not returned to widescreen again?

If your ‘base’ level is 720 x 576, my advice would be to use that as your overall format in the interests of uniformity across your whole production. I have copied quite a bit of stuff to variants of h264/x264 lately and met with mixed success. Video is usually better down-scaled, rather than up-scaled, in my (still developing) experience. (The reason is that I am looking for a format to standardise on, when everything is to be shot in High-Definition). I have found it hard to improve significantly on mpg2, tweaked as high, quality-wise, as the DVD-standard will allow it to be. (I think it is a ‘Main Concept’ codec in-use). There is less apparent ‘grain’ of any kind using that arrangement, no visible lack of sharpness that I am able to detect, and with ‘ac3’, good sound. That was achieved by using TMPGEnc software, since most codecs on offer as parts of packages arriving with editor software are analogous to the ‘house-white’ in wine terms. There will be a reason for the clips being in different formats. To me, the reasons I have given would seem to be the most obvious. My not being a ‘Premiere’ user, however has been a bit of a disadvantage in trying to unravelyour problem. By the way, good luck! We need all the ‘widescreen’ we can get.

Participant

you’ll capture 720×576 letterboxed.

Inactive

Hi Ian, thank you so much for your feedback. I checked out all the settings in the preferences section and made sure settings are set to 16.9 but still having the same problem.

@Grinner, I didn’t quite understand, my last attempt was Dv Pal settings, in the preferences section I set the aspect ration to 16.9 and captured. I only captured 4 different clips and the 4 clips came out with different resolutions. (When i check the file info on my mac, the aspect ration reads 720×576, 1280×576 and 1048×576) this problem is driving me crazy as I am already 3 weeks behind editing and I have a lot to do. Any help what so ever would be appreciated, I’m quite new to these programs. While filming no settings where touched, and when I connected the camera to the TV to check out the footage, the resolution and quality is fine. So I’m pretty sure I have narrowed the problem down. Camera to computer issue.

Participant

Premiere Pro capture window has a tab for imports – are you specifying you are capturing DV or HDV. It makes a difference. Type F5 for Capture, select the Settings Tab, click the edit button, try the 2 or 3 choices – you might find selecting HDV does it for you. Return to the Settings Tab to name your files.

In newer versions of PPro you can select many different project presets or make your own. New Project>Custome Settings (TAB)>Editing Mode = Desktop (then you set the video size)

Inactive

Hi Bruce thanks for the tips but still no luck. I have honestly tried everything. I am now trying to capture as one whole tape then I cut it up in premier pro and drag clips into the time line, but still nothing. It keeps stopping I have to manually start recording again and its uploading the footage in different resolutions. This is seriously driving me insane now!!! In the past I used to upload entire tapes, and just cut as I go along as I would always find some clip from some were that I would want to use, I thought that this method would be a temporary solution but nothing. I am beginning to think that something has gone wrong with the camera!!!! ever heard of such issues? it recording in mixed formats? I’m lost πŸ™

Participant

‘Grinner’, I think you miss my point. Yes, no doubt if I wanted to downscale widescreen to ‘letterbox’, I could contrive to do so, but I don’t. I have done a lot of downscaling/upscaling/aspect-ratio changes over the years, beginning in 2005, when I decided after several days of shooting, that working in 4:3, merely to make my stuff viewable at my local club, was not the way to go, and, instead of waiting for the ‘right’ tides and weather, and driving 100kMs down our coastline (and back), it was easier to mask-off the ‘letterbox’ areas, top-and-bottom and recreate the 16:9 format that way. It is still some of the best footage I have, and only a very slight shift in colour-balance, which I have yet to correct, distinguishes it from ‘native’ widescreen.

Anyway, why even bother? As a critical ‘test’, lately, I recorded on a Panasonic ‘Viera’ video-recorder, several episodes of the prestigious BBC ‘Life’ documentary series and simply did the mpg2 conversion by allowing the unit to get on with ‘what it knows best’ and put the video-stream onto a DVD. The results were flawless, by my reckoning, and I would be quite happy with future Hi-Def. of my own put through the same process. The original material was in 1920 x 1080 (my own preferred format), as far as I know and, it was ‘letterbox’………not!Any aspect-ratio changes may be quite easily compensated out, by using sets of ‘numbers’, whichtake into account that the original CCD image was wider, and had been ‘squeezed’ horizontally to fit onto 720 x 576, (as is vital when intermixing stills and video-footage), I would presume to bring it within the PAL DVD-standard. In fact, using ‘Virtualdub’, all things are possible, and unless the initial cropping of the imagemust be individually selective (shot-by-shot), a bulk-processing is possible, as long as the material is still in ‘avi’, so it would seem that all bases are ‘covered’.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment β€” 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap