WIDESCREEN

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I would like to produce a widescreen video using the VX2100. I am using Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Encore DVD.

Now, I want the finished product to be on DVD, I want it to have black bars on the top and bottom, and I want it to be able to take up the whole screen of a widescreen TV with the black bars still being on the top and bottom.

How do I go about doing this?

Any help would be appreciated. πŸ™‚

Inactive

I can tell you how to do it in Sony Vegas. You may be able to do the same in your program. I am assuming that you have captured in widescreen. When you start the editing program set it for 4:3. Then bring in your widescreen clip. This should appear in widescreen with the black bars. When you burn to DVD do it in the 4:3 aspect. When I do this I then finish up with a widescreen movie with black bars top and bottom. hope this helps.

Participant

But, uh, will the finished DVD take up the entire screen of a widescreen TV?

Thanks.

Participant

How could I produce a video on a DVD that takes up the whole screen on a widescreen TV, and the image is not squished and distorted. My camera does not shoot in true widescreen, so what could I do?

Inactive

The available evidence would suggest he’s a "Chubby Chaser".
      What’s wrong with that? Beautiful people come in all shapes and sizes.
      but he may not tell you that…(mind you there’s a joke we bikers tell about scooters….What do scooters and fat girls have in common? They’re both fun to play around with, ’till your friends See you with one…).

Participant

Seriously, this is like saying, "How do I sell my car and make sure they only use premium gasoline?"

I suppose you’re right. I’m just going to continue with my filmmaking, and just make it the way Iwant it. Thanks for all your replies.

Inactive

I’ve been away and only just seen your question. On my widescreen TV the DVD picture does fill the whole screen. However, I have to use the "smart" setting on my TV to keep the proper proportions, otherwise the picture is distorted widthwise. However, even after adjusting the screen there are still black bars top and bottom as you wanted.

Participant

Hmmmm. The solution may have been siitting in front of me all this while.

I’ll run a couple of tests next time I come in contact with a widescreen TV. Thanks for all your help, guys.

Participant

Is there a way to fake widescreen so I do not have to shoot in Widescreen mode. As long as the picture takes up the entire screen of the entire widescreen TV (NO bars, NO nothing) I’m happy. But I need the video to be in the highest quality possible. Should I shoot in widescreen or should I fake it?

Thanks.

Inactive

As far as I am aware, if you shoot in 4:3 and don’t "letterbox" you can view the film on a widescreen TV if you adjust the TV set to "smart." You may lose a little of the top or bottom of your video though. On my TV set I can move the picture up or down slightly if required. Hope this helps. πŸ˜€

Participant

That is a good idea but is that the best way to do it?

I have heard of pople taping black bars onto their camcorder’s viewfinder so they are to know where their video is going to be cropped.

I once tried taping black bars onto my viewfinder. I shot my video accordingly and when I put it in post, I used guidelines so I would not have anything outside the Widescreen area. After the film was edited I would put it into After Effects and stretch it vertically. I would then export the video as 16:9 footage and it would come out pretty good.

My question is: How much quality am I losing from this? And is this the best method?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap