Why Pixelated Title in FCP?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Can someone help me to fixe this problem of pixels on my titles? please click on the link to see the Video and see what I mean. I don’t know if my settings are wrong or. I am still new to FCP. any help will be much much appreciated.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDjAB5c608

I don’t know how much clearer it could be. I know I’m looking at a YouTube video on a very small screen and that helps disguise pixels, but I’m not such a puritan that I could see doing much better overall. I’m sure the problem you see is much more evident on a larger screen?

While I don’t have a suitable answer for you technically speaking, I DO KNOW FOR A FACT that this subject has been posted before and a search in the archives regarding titles, FCP or pixelation might get you some more info.

Participant

The max Resolution you have it at is 480p. I have it opened full screen on a 26 inch monitor and it looks to be about as good as anything can be at a 480p resolution. It is not bad at all.

Participant

ANYTHING I resize for youtube will look pixelated, if I open it up full screen on a 12″ or bigger monitor(I only share smallest files to be iphone friendly). my guess is you are noticing the pixelation in the title more than the imagery in the background, because the background is very busy with trees rocks etc, in places with areas of sky combined with motion….

I’m guessing if you ignored the title, and looked closely at the background, it is equally pixelated.

check your editor and resize it for the size screen you are using, export it (some nle’s take a performance hit depending on your computer system, so playback within the nle may be choppy/pixelated) to full res and then watch it on your bigger monitor to see if that is the problem.

Participant

What is your timeline Compressor set to? ProRes422 will yield the best results.

Are you using the text generator in FCP? If so, not cool. That should be used as a place holder only. Either use Motion or Boris Title 3D option in FCP.

Your second line of text (Land Scape) is a serifed typeface. A basic rule of typography is not to use serifed typefaces on screen. It’s also spelled wrong πŸ˜›

Inactive

Don, I will trey in the bigger monitor and see but please check it again in on the still BG. Rob.. I am still new to FCP but I tried in Boris title 3D but still the same. pls take a look at the Video below and tell me. Maybe its the resolution of my Imac 27 Screen. Yes the spelling was wrong thank but it was only for illustration.

Participant

It’s not the resolution of your iMac screen. Video is 72dpi, computer screens are 72dpi, broadcast monitors are 72dpi – resolution of your screen is not an issue. You shouldn’t be judging the quality of an image from a computer monitor anyway. You want a broadcast monitor.

Regardless, I see no pixilation in either of your videos. It’s in your head.

Participant

Mediavibe

When your are seeig this “pixelation” what resolution are you running it at? If you are tryig to see a 480 or a 360 video image blown up to fill your computer screen (1920X1080 for example) you will see pixelation as you are now magnifying it 2.25 to 3 times. You need to view it in its native resolution. If you are editing this in 1080 and then converting to 480 or 360, that process will induce pixelation as well. Redcuing it to 360 means you are taking a 3×3 group of pixels and reducing it to a single pixel with some level of averaging those 9 to represent 1.

You said you wanted it to be iPhone freindly. Do you see this pixelation on an iPhone? 

Participant

Pixellation can be a problem. I do quite a number of screen-graphics sequences using nothing very exotic in the way of software; a 2005 ‘Ulead Photo-Impression 11’ and a scratch-built procedure of creating animations against a blue or green ‘chroma’ background. (I usewide-shots from high viewpoints to show routes covered on lower ground against a ‘live’ video background, instead of using maps’, where possible, then animate the results frame-by-frame. the basis for the process is an indentically sized still photogrpah, which serves as a temporary template for placement ofthe ‘indicator’, usually a ‘travelling’ white-line. (It works very well). One thing I learned early is to use a decent-sized graphics-raster for all stills, so although my stuff eventually goes onto 720 x 576 px, it begins with pixellations around margins as minimal as possible with a graphics well in excess of 1920 x 1080. A secondway to disguise pixels, is to set the margins of letters/objectslightly ‘off’ razor-sharp, to slightly fuzzy. It doesn’t cause degeneration of the outlines, much, and definitely hides pixels quite a bit.

Regarding title letters. Nothing is as effective in my video-editor (Magix Movie-Edit Pro 17 Plus), as the titles supplied with the software, which locate, by default in track-3. Text applied as part of the background graphic, and blue/green-screened into the final production, was never as sharp. The same has applied with other systems I have used.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases β€” 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap