Why an advanced filmaker shouldent buy a Canon zr850-950

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Why an advanced filmaker shouldent buy a Canon zr850-950

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Wow, for christmas i got a Canon zr850. It started out as the best camera in the world. Then as i became more advanced. I found out that the zr850, and the entire zr series limits your audio and video options.

NO mic jack

NO compatably with Filters

NO accessory shoe

NO compatably with hoods

and much more.

It is a great camcorder for the beginer, and it is still a great camcorder, but i feel limited

any commets or adds

Participant

My camera has a switch between “near” and “far” focus. I started a feature film, and made 4 short films on it. No mic jack or that other stuff. When I get famous and go to hollywood, I’ll still shoot with it probably. I’m too lazy to learn a new camera. Why bother? I’ll be famous anyway.

Go ahead and laugh now. I will too. LOL

Participant

?????

O.K. that was ….. i dont know but what i do know is that No matter what camera you have is that you need to learn how to work with it. I have been short films 24/7. I need to make a feature film that will get me noticed. And that will get me a couple hundred bucks…… and Stay under a very LOW budget. (see ZERO budget films fourm) Like that will ever happen.

I dont think the manuel foces on the camera isn,t amazing either

P.S. what kind of camera do you have?

Participant

I dunno if it’s just me or what. But I just googled the model you have, and I can’t help but wonder why people buy camcorders that are obviously consumer level and then seem to expect a lot out of the camera. It’s not just you, I see this a lot. I mean seriously, look at what pros use, and then look at what you have. What do you expect?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t at all think that if you buy good equipment, you’re going to be good at making videos. That’s not at all what I’m saying. It’s that people expect features on consumer products that consumers don’t need. Not many average consumers need manual focus, or mic jacks, or even know what a lens hood is. So why expect it on products that are clearly consumer.

I understand you said you got this as a beginner, but became too advanced for it. Everyone progresses; I get that. But to use myself as an example, when I first started video, I knew I was serious about it. So I saved up and threw down a few grand for a GL2, accessories, and a laptop. I too eventually became too advanced, but I realized in the beginning that I was serious about video and made sure not to get a camera that was too consumer, but not too professional either since I was just starting out. You gotta think about the future. Last week I just upgraded to a Sony PD170, but I got it used. Why? Because I know pretty soon I’m going to want to get an HD camera. So why drop so much money on a new camera if I want to get an HD camera sometime soon anyway? See…I thought about the future. I got something that suits me for now, but tried not to create a major setback as far as saving up for HD.

I understand that when I was saving up for my camera I was still in high school and had parents to put food in my stomach and a roof over my head. I realize it may be harder for other people to save up for better stuff. But if you are truly serious about video/film making, I think you’ll find a way to make it happen. I mean, if you’re a typical american, I’m sure you’ve got a bunch of useless shit around your house. Sell that and get some better equipment or something. Or ride a bike or take the bus to save gas money. Or quit smoking. Buy generic food and don’t eat atrestaurants. Whatever your situation is, I’m sure there is a solution to saving money.

And as far as you guys wanting to be Hollywood filmmakers, I’m totally for people having big dreams and working hard to get to where they want to go. But also realize that you don’t have to work in Hollywood to make good money. And to use myself as an example once again, I’m 21 years old and currently working on a project for Reebok, which is something not many 21 year olds have an opportunity to do. Remember how I just mentioned that I’m saving up for an HD camera? I’ll have that in no time, but that’s besides the point. What I’m saying is, you don’t need to be George Lucas to make good money.

ps. sorry if i’m coming off as cocky by using myself as an example too. I’m just trying to provide some real-life examples.

Participant

Reebok? Nice! I’m with the Democratic National Convention here in Denver. It’s not NEARLY as great as it sounds. My boss just registered http://www.denverdemocraticnationalconvention.com before the committee. We’re building our website, then trying to sell it. also doing buttons and bumper stickers.

Hey, FILMSinc! my boss used to date Goldwyn’s granddaughter of Metro Goldwyn-Meyer fame. Maybe we can hook you up when your done editing. we’re making a feature film on sony handycams of a guy we know. then try to get it to Hollywood through Goldwyn’s granddaughter. or maybe it was his daughter? LOL

Participant

the canon zr500 had manual focus, and mic input and was about $350.00 cdn a while back. (sucked in low light though)

Participant

Thats Really funny, and it just might work.

A feature film using handycams, or a film by the topic of handycams. LOL

Inactive

Thats Really funny, and it just might work. A feature film using handycams, or a film by the topic of handycams. LOL

Wasnt’ the TV seriesHomicide filmed almost exclusively with handhelds and lightweight cameras?

Participant

Ithoughtthe movie Open Water wasfilmedwith VX2100’sas well.

Participant

No way. That is so cool. But they had an advantage, a mic jack. and other features.

Participant

I’m pretty sure 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks later was shot with Canon XL cameras.

Participant

Well canon Xl cameras ROCK. and they are pro cameras

Participant

One option for you,sincethere isn’ta micinput onthe 850,would beto get adigital audiorecorder.Theyhavethingslike minidiscsolutionsout there (andprobably flashorhdd basedsolutions too). Isaw one blog about a guy whogota minidiscrecorder, a beachtek adapter,and a nice XLRshotgun mic.If youdidthis, when you gota new camera youcouldusethe mic and/or other accessories withit. I’m not sure how well it would work, but you could probably use a laptop with something like Audacity to record your audio if you wanted.

It’sprettyeasytodoif you record your audiodigitally on agood qualityrecorder.Justmakea visual/audio cue when you startfilming/recording audioto sync upinan editor. You oftensee clapboardsin Hollywoodthat haveinfo likewhichreel, whichtake, which scene,etc,but youcould dosomething justassimilar by clapping yourhands.

Idon’thave much experience withthis stuff (I’ve onlyread aboutit and oneguy showedme hissetupreally quickly- a DJIusedto work for), but I’m sure others on theforumhave experience with stufflikethis,so hopefullytheycanchimein.Might just bean optionfor you until youcan get acam with micinputs.

Participant

That couldent have been better said. I read about clapping your hands in Filmaking for dummies once, then just syncing them up later. And about useing a small recorder for audio on a Videomaker video. Yet that stuff cost just about as much as a new camcorder 3 times better than mine. Anything cheap?

Inactive

I always carry a couple of 500’s and 600’s to every shoot (Main camera is XL2) I use them for hard to reach areas, underwater shots, strap them to skiers/surf boards and critter cams. Those suckers just might get the shot of the day occasionally! I also use them for tape rewind and quick reference…just my dos centavos

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap