Whistling sound with dancers and lav mics

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Whistling sound with dancers and lav mics

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a group of dancers who want to shoot instructional videos. We don’t have a pro video team and are basically learning from scratch. We have two Audio-Technica Pro 88W/T lav mics with only 2 frequencies. It works perfectly when there is only a single dancer using one mic. When I have two dancers doing instruction with different mics, I get a whistling sound. I’m using a Beachtek and I’m inputting in mono mode.

I realize my mics are on the lower end of the usability spectrum, but I was advised that they would fit our simple needs. Is there a problem with my receiver placement, the distance between the dancers, their movement around each other, or is this unavoidable interference? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Inactive

Thanks so much for your reply, Hank. Your advice makes sense. The whistling only happens when the two mics are being used together. We bought the mics in person at B&H in New York and the salesperson said that two systems wouldn’t interfere with each other. Each system has 2 frequencies. I will definitely look into this. Thank you again!

Inactive

How far apart do frequencies have to be in order to not interfere with each other? One of my systems has 169.505MHz and 170.305MHz while the other system has 169.445MHz and 170.245MHz. Thanks!

Inactive

Could this be a feedback whistle?

Maybe system "A" can eliminate feedback "A", and system "B" can eliminate feedback "B", but while using together, system A cannot eliminate feedback "B" and viceversa.

Hope this can help…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap