Which ZR Camera

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am new to the world of digital cameras, and am starting out on the entry level ZR series from Canon. I have a choice between the ZR800 and the ZR850. The price difference is only $9 due to a sale at Best Buyt his week on the ZR850. Still shots would be nice, but not neceesary as I already have a digi camera. What I am looking at is if either have pass through so I can transfer my VHS to Mac for DVD. I seem to recall that i did see the the 800 had pass through, but the 850 did not. Other than that, is there anything else that I am missing?

Inactive

pastorjay,

I’m not sure, but I think the ZR800 has an input for an external microphone. As you get more into video production, you’ll find that using an external microphone (maybe a shotgun mic, or maybe a wireless lapel mic) greatly improves your videos.

Ken Hull

Participant

Any word on pass through? I need to be able to record my VHS to DVD..

Thanks for the help!

Inactive

pastorjay,

According to the ZR800 specifications published on the http://www.BHphotovideo.com website, the ZR800 has Line-In Recording, as well as both IEEE 1394 and AV outputs. Sounds like that’s what you want.

BTW, I’d record from VHS tape to a minDV cassette in the ZR800. Then use the firewire (IEEE1394) to transfer to your computer, where you can edit it and burn DVDs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478924-REG/Canon_1880B001_ZR800_Mini_DV_Camcorder.html

Ken Hull

Participant

Ken, from looking at the specs of the 850, it seems to have that as well. Am i reading the right thing?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478921-REG/Canon_1878B001_ZR850_Mini_DV_Camcorder.html#Input/Output%20Connectors

Inactive

pastorjay,

Looking at the specs on BH, there’s nothing listed under “inputs”, only under “outputs”. Also, there’s no mic input, like there is for the ZR800.

The ZR850 sensorhas a higher pixel count, so video shot with it willbealittle bitsharper. And it can shoot still photos. But I think the ZR800 would serve you better.

Ken Hull

Participant

Thanks Ken! I appreciate all your help!

Participant

Hi There

Hope you can help! I have a Canon ZR 85. A few days ago I plugged it in to charge the battery, after a few hours I noticed that the LED that desplays the charge was off, I unpluggedand tried to power the unit but it did not. I checked the battery with a volt meter and it has charge, I also removed the battery and plugged the power supply into the unit and still not power on.

Does anyone know of this problem, it appears as a fuse burned out internally or the on switch has gone faulty. Any suggestions?

Thanks Joe

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2020

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap