Which wire do I need?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m heading out to look for a cable to connect my video camera to the computer. Do any of you know which one I need? I plan to just take this picture (printed) and go see if I can find a match, but if someone knows of a problem or an additional adapter I need, it would sure help. I have a Dell Multimedia computer.

The image of my camera and computer connections (plus I have USB ports on the computer) can be seen at http://www.grullablue.com/images/temp/video_hookups.jpg

Thanks,

Toni

Inactive

If you got a digital camera, Firewire is the only way to go.

Inactive

When I looked up Firewire on the ‘net, I didn’t see the same connections as these. Does your Firewire have these connections? Where did you get it?

Toni

Participant

the USB port on your camera is most likely to transfer any files on a memory card (i.e. still images captured through the camera) andthe DV port next to it is a 4-pin Firewire card. you probably have a 6-pin firewire connector somewhere on your computer (if it’s a multimedia comp) so you might want to look around for that. it might be listed as IEEE 1394 also. if you’re not sure, feel free to take pictures of all of your ports on your comp and post them.

the cables in the hand are s-video analog and composite analog cables. both of these do carry video, but you want to have a digital capture because you won’t lose any quality.

the connectors on your comp might be a composite video and S-video, but it’s hard to tell.

Inactive

I must have had ESP and known what you were thinking, because I stood in front of the Fire Wires for about 10 minutes and then chose the 4 and 6 one. I knew there were some USB-looking things on the back of the computer, but they weren’t as wide as a USB. So I bought it, and I think you were right on the money. In a few minutes, I’ll try it and see.

Then, I’ll have to figure out if I need some program to download the video once it’s hooked up!

πŸ™‚

Toni

Inactive

I don’t have a spot on the back of the computer for the 6-pin or for a 4-pin. Lotta good it did to pay the extra dollars for a multi media computer. I told the salesperson at Dell what I wanted to do with the computer (video editing and web cam for my horse barn), and this is what he said I needed.

Do you think I have to buy and install another port? A picture of the back of my computer is at http://www.grullablue.com/images/temp/video_hookups2.jpg It is a large picture.

Thanks for all your help!

Toni

Inactive

I don’t remember the first guy, but the second one was in India. πŸ™‚ He spoke fantastic English, thankfully. I guess that makes him safe from my wrath!

Thanks for all your help. I did somehow get it to download via the USB (don’t know why it didn’t in the first place), but I imagine the quality wouldn’t be good enough to send back to the camera for full-screen tv viewing and sending to people on video tape. It’s ok for putting on a web page, which is a big part of what I needed. But I’d have liked to have been able to do high-quality video to put on a VCR tape.

I’ll check and see what I have for room back there, and may buy a port. If not, I’ll wait until next time and make sure I get what I want. The Multimedia version is apparently only the version of Windows I got, and has nothing to do with hardware. I don’t need the multimedia version of Windows from the looks of it since I don’t hook up to a TV and use the remote with the computer. My TV screen is bigger than my computer, so it seems sort of useless to do that.

I got suckered, it sounds like. πŸ™‚

Toni

Inactive

My video on the web page doesn’t have controls for the viewer to tell it when to play, pause, or to allow them to adjust the slider to review certain parts. Do you know of a web site that will tell me how to add controls? I’ve searched, but the first several results didn’t help me.

I used FrontPage, which just lets me control it by playing on page load or beginning it on mouse hover.

Thanks again!

Toni

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap