Which tapes to use in VX2100

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I had a lot of static on the audio from a Sony mindv dvm-60pr (blue package) tape on my last video. The tape I had used previous to that tape was also a Sony dvm-60 and it had no audio problems at all so I am assuming it was a bad tape. Also, I was using a remote microphone in both cases. This is the second time I had a bad Sony tape. Are the Sony minddv dvm-60 tapes recommended for use in the VX2100 or is there a higher quality tape I should be using?

Dave

Participant

Unless your video was messed up too it is more likely that you recorded your audio at to high a level than the tape being bad. Judging from what you describe I would bet money that it is too high of a level. Watch your levels while you record and use headphones.

Inactive

Hi Dave — Videolab is probably right. I’ve used the tapestock you describe for more than 3 years in my VX2100 and have never had a moment’s notice. But I monitor audio on headphones, and also use the built in audio monitor in my camera. Both camera and tapestock have served me well.

Doc

Inactive

Thanks for everyones comments. I was using my Azden wireless receiver to record my audio. I don’t think I adjusted the audio volume on my camera. I guess what is strange is that it only did it on one of the tapes with everything else being equal. I will take your suggestion and use my headphones next time. I am still learning how to use this VX2100 camcorder which I really love. BTW here is a video I did today of a bald eagle that rested in a tree outside my house in rural Central Illinois. How many people see eagles in their front yard trees? Below is the link to the video. Wish I had time to set up my tripod.

http://www.minonktalk.com/flashplayer.aspx?url=videos/eagleclip.flv&title=Bald%20Eagle%20at%20Dave%20Uphoff%20residence

Participant

I also use the Sony tapes. On myVX-2100’s I use an AZDEN shotgun mic attached to the 1/8″ connection. It does not pick up the sound and do the Auto sound nearly as good as the built in mic. By that I mean, the sound is better when I adjust it manually but if I leave it on Auto pilot it will overshoot every time and the sound will be shot. So you’ll need to be more carefull with the mic.

The same thing goes with the Wireless receiver. You just need to be careful with the 1/8″ in. Unless you are using the hot shoe.

But I don’t think there is a problem with the tapes. Just the audio levels.

Inactive

So it sounds like it is better to use the manual overrride for audio when using an external mic instead of the built-in mic?

Participant

Right-O. Just watch the audio levels on the monitor when you use the external mics. I try to keep my in the middle of the graph.

Inactive

i’d highly advise you to also use headphones while recording so you can hear what’s coming in.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap