Which tape should I buy

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi there,

Which tape is excellent for HDV capturing? With a minium of errors? I can’t find a good tape over here πŸ™

Regards

Participant

Sony makes a tape that is supposedly meant for HD (HDV) work: DVM-63HD.

I cannot vouch for it personally but have heard others applaud it.

Participant

Does this mean with a normal DV tape will the camera drop frames? Do you have to buy the sony $10+ a tape to shoot HD or will a cheap tape work? I’m asking about the Sony FX1 since it will be the most used of HD camera’s for event purposes. I want to purchase the FX1 but I’m unsure about what is "24fps Like" mean? Does it actully shoot in 24fps? Also unsure of how good 3 LUX is. Any input out there. I own a GL2 and I feel 6 LUX is crap for low light situations. Quality should matter. I shot a wedding in a church and saw grain with a 6 LUX. Wish I would have bought the sony 2100 with 1 LUX.

Inactive

I recently bought a Sony HVR-Z!U and have shot one HD movie so far using the same type of miniDV tape I have been using for my Canon GL2. There were no dropouts for what that is worth.

Participant

WCardone- How big is the quality differece between your Canon GL2 and the Sony HVR-Z!U?

Inactive

Ok Thanks for the advice, I’ll use normal DV tapes in the begining πŸ™‚

Inactive

As I have just answered in other posts, with an HD Camcorder, you can record HD footage on either DV tapes or HDV tapes. Both will work just fine and not give you any problems, however apparently the HDV tapes will give you better protection against dropouts.

I would just stick with the DV tapes to save on costs, but you might want to consider HDV tapes when you have something important and special to record, such as a wedding, and you cannot risk having dropouts. Also, the more you use a tape, the more of a chance you have to develop dropouts. For that, I would suggest important stuff be recorded on brand new tapes.

Also, another note about tapes…..there are two types of lubrication systems used in the tapes……wet and dry. If I recall correctly, Sony uses the wet and everyone else uses the dry. I would suggest NOT mixing them, and it would be even better to get a brand and stick with a brand. If you use a wet tape, and then a dry tape, the tape could stick and get caught in the tape transport causing issues. ALWAYS use a tape cleaner if you ever have to switch between wet to dry!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video β€” 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap