Which Panasonic would you recommend?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I’d like to have your input please (no pun intended πŸ™‚ ) before I make this purchase from B&H.

I’m going to buy a camcorder specifically for outdoor documentary-type videos. Judging from your comments on wedding videography and getting the best quality, it seems a camera with 3 CCD and 1 Lux would be a good choice to make for the outdoors. I would also use the camera for taping indoor interviews.

These are the 2 cameras I’ve narrowed it down to:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=423599&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

This one has, among other features, "soft skin" mode as well as a built-in light and I find these are good to have….but it doesn’t have a headphone jack.

Here’s the other:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=423596&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

This one has no built-in light and may not have the "soft skin" mode, however it does have a headphone jack.

Do you find these important/essential? I’m anticipating my venture into videography evolving as time goes on and at least would like to have certain features available on the camcorder.

And finally, they both have a "cold" shoe. I searched for a definition on "cold" and "hot" but my search didn’t quite yield an explanation on what each is for. Which one would a shotgun mike attach to?

Do you think these are appropriate choices? Thanks for any comments.

Regards,

Microchip,

One thing you might want to consider when purchasing a camcorder for outdoor shooting is the optical zoom. Both cameras you’re looking at have a 10x optical zoom, which is about average. Some "consumer" camcorders feature a 20x which maybe of value to you. Or consider an lens telephoto converter. Just a few more things to think about.

As far as hot vs cold shoe is concerned, "hot" means it can power devices through the shoe. It’s a nice feature, but it will drain your camcorders battery faster. A cold shoe won’t send power and is simply a accessory shoe capable of attatching devices to it. Honestly, in all my years of shooting I’ve never used a hot shoe. You can connect a shotgun mic to a cold shoe. Many shotgun mics will get phantom power from a supplied AA battery.

Hope that helps some? Anyone else seen, used these camcorders before? or have some suggestions?

Participant

Thanks for the reply mm, yes it does help.

I will be ordering accessories along with the camcorder. Some of the accessories offered with the first camcorder are: Kenko SGW-05 Pro 37mm 0.5x Pro Wide Angle Converter Lens and a Raynox HD-2200 PRO 37mm 2.2x Teleconverter Lens.

The second camcorder’s accessories are: Kenko SGW-05 37mm 0.5x Wide Angle Converter Lens and Kenko SGT-20 37mm 2x Telephoto Converter Lens.

Since they are both 37 mm I suppose I can buy whichever accessory I prefer, so I’ll get those lenses for sure.

I’m most of all concerned with the picture quality. I have a low-end Samsung analog camcorder and while it takes really nice close-ups, whenever it records scenery the picture looks a mess. All trees, shrubs and grass are just a mixture of colours with no definition at all to the scene. So, when I record the outdoors I really want my audience to appreciate the scenery.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap