Which Mac encoder do you use?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all,

I have been using the Final Cut Studio range for a short while & notice that the workflow is fantastic, the only pitfall that I see is with picture quality when it encodes dissolves 😯
      Compressor is a great little program though it really struggles with some dissolves.

When producing an MPEG2 file, I generally use the best settings, 2 pass VBR, max 8.6, average bit rate at about 5 (depending on the length of my job). So I am thinking that I am using the best possible settings.

I have simply put it that compressor does an average job on Dissolves, anyone else experience this sort of bad encoding }:-) & anyone else using an encoder on the mac that they are happy with….

Thanks…

Hi Sandro,

I’ve never experienced this before. What kind of dissolve are you using? Standard cross dissolve? And, how long is the transition? I’d imagine anything over 45 frames might have some compression artifacting, but probably not at the level you’re seem to be experiencing.

Mark

Participant

Hi Mark,

99% of the time I use a cross-dissolve, generally the dissolves are 25 frames though I have to mention that this compression artifacting doesnt happen to all dissolves, it does however happen often & its pretty noticeable.

I spoke to Apple in the US & they said to put ‘Compression Markers’ on my Final Cut Pro timeline before exporting it to Compressor, this sometimes works, though where I really notice it, is when I use photos & I do a cross-dissolve, if I have about 25 photos & all dissolves in-between I have to put compression markers otherwise I get heaps of artifacting.

On another subect have you ever tried Bitvice Mark?

Thanks again.

Sandro,

I definitely don’t have any solutions, but a few more suggestions. Are you sure you singled it out to be the compressor? Try playing back the DVD in other devices. Also, try exporting the project to a DV quality .MOV file. Then use iDVD or DVD Studio Pro to make a test disc. You can drag and drop the .MOV file into the project. It will then compress automatically to mpeg and burn the disc. I’m not sure what utility these software packages use, but it’s likely to be different than Compressor. Play it back and see if the results are better.

I recently made a 5 minute slideshow in FCP for my Grandmother’s 80th birthday. I didn’t use any cross dissolves. I layered the pics on different tracks and key framed the opacity (same effect as a cross dissolve). I exported a DV quality .mov file and then used DVD Studio to make the disc. Didn’t have any problems. You might want to try a test of this too.

Best of luck!

Mark

ps- nice demo reel

Participant

Thanks for the post Mark, I will have a play around with it.

Also glad to see you liked the demo reel…

Cheers

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap