Which is the best . . . . whatever?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

It strikes me that a huge amount of Forum bandwidth is committed to folks asking about gear or software. ” What is the best . . . ? ” or ” What do y’all think about ( insert make and model ) . . . ? ” Invariably, respondants most always comment based upon theirpersonalexperience with their own gear, a limited perspective when considering the huge selection of camcorders, mics, accessories, etc available on the market. Hopefully they have done their homework based upon their own criteria and have made an intelligent choice of equipment which suits their application . . . which may not be directly applicable to other’s or within their budget.

So a more detailed outline of what the person is trying to accomplish with the gear they are seeking will likely elicit more useful or broader responses from those with experience in similar situations. But there’s Ssooo much gear out there, isn’t there?

Rick Crampton

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Anyone who has this type of question about gear should check Videomaker products reviews or do a quick search on Google. Another useful place to find information about the product your interested is by reading customers reviews at websites such as BH Photo Video or Amazon. Like Rick mentioned, “choice of equipment which suits their application”. When your in the process of buying new equipment you need to check how practical it will be for your situation and your budget. After you know this read some reviews online, compare different products and buy only what you really need. And before posting” What do y’all think about ( insert make and model ) . . . ? ” do a search on Videomaker forums, probably someone else had ask about the product your interested.

I’m one who recently enquired about a new HD video camera (Panasonic HVX200A). Your points are well taken. I believe I expressed my self appropriately but maybe could have done a better job.

Inquickly glossing over this web site, including the forums, it seems that it’s all geared toward who are less informed about video production. This would be in contrast to other support web-site where more advanced and/or professional videographers hang out. (I would judge http://www.dvinfo.net to be one of those sites.) This isn’t to say the “pro” don’t hang out here. Obviously they do. (THANKFULLY!!!) However, it should come to no surprise that people are going to ask “beginner-type” questions.

I used to be a moderator and then a co-administrator for a HUGE nursing-focused web site. Eventually, we created “nursing student” forums which seemed to help support “beginners” in the nursing field. (I’m a nurse, by the way.) Maybe this bulletin board could create an all-encomposing “beginners” forum for ding-dongs like me who tend to ask “newbie” questions like “What’s the Best Camera in the WHOLE WIDE World for under $10.00????” LOL! This “beginners” forum could even explain how one could find answers to commonly asked questions. For example, someone in my last post provided a link to a web-page that compares different video cameras to each other. That particular web-site seems to be a great source of information that could deflect much of the commonly asked questions if was stickied in a beginners forum. (By the way, I’m not a big fan of Google. There are too many weak or even inappropriate choices that Google tends to provide that’s more of a hinderance than of help.)

Anyway. . . us beginners appreciate the help that you pros provide. I know it can be irritating sometimes. But, as I used to share with my co-moderators and co-administrators at the nursing forum who got frustrated with the “same old, same old”, we were all beginners at one point, and most probably asked the same questions.

Much gratitude for any and all information that you pros share. This web site is a wealth of information because of your input.

Gratefully,

Ted

Ted, my post wasn’t a complaint, really; and certainly not aimed at your questions here. I’m not a pro by any stretch of the imagination; just a hobbyist with maybe a little bit too much time on my hands, having retired early in 2005.

I just marvel at how many identical questions show up in rapid succession, simply asking, “what is the best . . . whatever? “, without providing any furtherinformation.

Rick Crampton

Participant

“So a more detailed outline of what the person is trying to accomplish
      with the gear they are seeking will likely elicit more useful or broader
      responses from those with experience in similar situations. But there’s
      Ssooo much gear out there, isn’t there?”

I don’t want to put words into Rick’s mouth, but it strikes me that the essence of his comment is that there is no such thing as “the best.” Gear that works for one situation may not work at all in another. A camera that’s great for vacation videos on a beach in Hawaii may not have the low-light capabilities necessary for shooting a wedding reception. An LED light that illuminates a green screen beautifully may give an ugly blue tinge to skin tones.

There’s certainly nothing more difficult for a new-comer to any activity, whether as an amateur or professional, than learning the ropes, and forums such as this and resources such as Videomaker Magazine do a wonderful job of pointing folks toward choices.

But any choice you make will probably be “wrong.” That is, you’ll do all the research you can and get advice from as many as possible, make your choice, then enter into a love/hate relationship with the gear you’ve bought: it does some things perfectly and doesn’t do other things well at all. So for the rest of your life you’ll do what many of us do — the dance of retiring the old and buying something new.

You’ll never get to “the best” — it doesn’t exist — but you’re in for a wonderful, entertaining and hopefully not too expensive journey of creative experiences.

Jack

It’s too bad that enthusiasts starting out can’t apprentice with an experienced videographer. It would even be worth it w/o pay!I gained what little knowledge I have re lighting and camera techniques by working on very short film crews almost 40 years ago. I was a soundman on industrials, commercials, corporate and documentary 16mm film productions. I was evenfortunate to land a position as production sound mixer on a low budget feature film. In each case I lent a hand with lights and assisted the camera man with focus pulls, etc. My experiences led me to a career in post sound in Hollywood.

I believe that some on-set experience wouldhelp a beginner to develop a sense of what they would be looking for in the way of gear. It also wouldn’t hurt to hang out in an editing bay for a few days . . .

Rick Crampton

It is my personal experience that MANY of them (enthusiasts starting out) don’t WANT to do that … apprentice with an experienced videographer, good, low or NO pay. Maybe it’s just where I am but most of those with whom I’ve tried to work have too much “attitude” for me to work with.

Actually. . . developing mentor-apprentice relationships is a WONDERFUL idea! On the nursing side, it’s call “preceptorship” for the new nurses. I’m one of those “preceptors”, I guess. Truth be told, not every well-experienced nurse can act as a preceptor. Not everyone enjoys teaching. It would not be a stretch to speculate that not every professional videographer would want to serve as a mentor. Still, the idea of creating apprentice-mentor relationships in videography (or in ANY field) is wildly wonderful!!

For me, the Ultimate “apprentice/mentor” relationship would be going back to college and taking courses in videography. Unfortunately, there isn’t an affordable, near-by college that offers such courses. As it stands presently, I can’t afford on-line courses. (I’m actually thinking about getting my Masters in Nursing which is mucho money!!!)

Right now, web-sites like this one offers a certain measure of learning opportunities for a videographer-wanna-be. Actually, I don’t even want to be “pro-grade”; I’d be happy with “so-so”! LOL! Still, there’s something to be said about having control with the tools of your craft. I’m also a composer (got my BM degree in Film Composition — 30 years ago! LOL!) and enjoy the tools now available to me to create music (which is my main focus, actually). I don’t think I’m all that bad with the camera. But I don’t have the control over it like I do with my audio/sequencing set-up (and I ain’t perfect with that either).

Appreciate the discussion. . . .

(No worries, Rick. When I was moderating that really busy nursing bulletin board, there were lots and lots of “identical” or “duplicate” questions. Lots of them!! LOL! There’s always gonna be a new nurse asking questions (as he or she should do). The same holds true for any other profession, in this case videography.

Now. . . “What the best camera to buy for under $25 dollars?!?!?” LOL! πŸ˜€

Inactive

What are the advantages and disadvantages of youtube?

Earl sez:

It is my personal experience that MANY of them (enthusiasts starting out) don’t WANT to do that … apprentice with an experienced videographer, good, low or NO pay. Maybe it’s just where I am but most of those with whom I’ve tried to work have too much “attitude” for me to work with.

You have a point. I have run into a number of self-described ” authorities ” in the sound and film areas. Particularly in videoland, I guess there’s a feeling that since one can see what is actually being shot, there’s no need for the hocus-pocus of a real ” cinematographer ” with light meter and portfolio.

I was the local soundman in the Louisville, KY, area in the 70’s. I worked with two different small film companies who shot corporatein-house productionsfor KFC on 16mm film. Some hotshot at KFC determined that an investment of about $ 200,000for their ownvideo equipment would be more cost effective than hiring a small filmcrew every time. Heck, one could play back each take, and since everybody knew good video when they saw it ( lotta TV viewers think this ), they didn’t need to hire an expensive cameraman. I won’t even mention their attitude concerning sound, the poor stepchild of the industry.

Yet I would hope that a newbie who was sincere about building a career in video just might be humble and openenough to actually learn something from the pros before donninga beret and ascot and passing himself off as Cecil B’s second cousin . . .

Rick Crampton

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap