Which cameras have…..

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

….. interchangable senses, that i can fit canon EF lenses to?

Hi Folks,

Having been into photography for a few years, I’m looking at taking a sideways step and trying my hand at a spot of videography. I don’t really know where to start looking.

I know that there are cameras out there with changable lenses, and that EF adapters are available, meaning that i could fit some of my Canon L lenses to it (unless there is any reason whyI can’t).

I would be looking into keeping at what i do best – outdoor sports (climbing, kayaking etc) andwildlife. I would likethe bestquality i can get for no more than 2000, preferablywith the ability to fit my curent lenses.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Participant

Have you looked into the newr DSLRs that can now do HD Video as well? I know some of those get pretty spendy relatively quick but they migh allow you to continue to use the lense you do have saving some money on that point. Take a look at the newer models of the one you are currently using.

Inactive

Thanks Craftersoflight, Its an interesting thought.

The only problem i have with it is that they are geared more towards photography rather than video. Given thatI already have all that i need for photography, it would be a shame to spend that money on something that only has one function over whatI already have. AlthoughI know i might be able to fit my lenses to it, i would much prefer something more specific tovideo,still with the ability to fit my lenses to it!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Participant

You should be able to geta usedstandard definitionCannon Xl2for around $2395.00 – 1635.78

A new one will probably cost slightly more than 2000.00…if you just want the camera body, you should be able to find a new one for exactly 2000.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/339002-REG/Canon_9549A001_XL_2_1_3_Inch_3_CCD_Widescreen.html

*note the EF adapters are additional.

A high defintioninterchangeable lens model such as Xl H1 may be had to find for under 2000.00… You may want to consider just purchasing the camera body if you want HD, but that will stll run around 3000.00 for a brand new HD model…

Here are some more references:

http://www.videodirect.com/canon/digcc/canon-xl2.html

From Article:

“In addition to accepting the full line up of Canon’s XL lenses — including the 16x IS II Auto focus lens, 16x Mechanical Servo Zoom lens, 3x Wide Angle, the 1.6x Extender and the EF adaptor for use with Canon’s full line of EF photographic lenses – Canon is launching a new Professional L-series 20X Optical zoom lens, included with the XL2.”

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2-watchdog/67044-xl2-ef-lens-adapter-ef-lenses-eos-lens.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2-watchdog/67044-xl2-ef-lens-adapter-ef-lenses-eos-lens-2.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php#ceos

There may be some magnification issues with video making many lenses more appropriate for nature use.

Inactive

Fantastic, Thanks Coreece, just what i wanted to hear!

Participant

Your welcome…

I’ve included those additional references since my knowledge is limited in regards to this specific issue….so I hopeit helps you.

Best Regards

Inactive

Oh, just one more thing,…

CraftersOfLight suggested buying a new generation DSLR which has the ability to shoot HD, but im guessing the video quality is nowhere near that of something lile the XL2, so on the flip side, how good is the still photography function on the XL2?

Cheers again

Chris, Coreece,

The canon option is a viable one, but no way will you get what you need for 2k. To make the camera SLR Lens mountable at the cheapest you’d need an EF Adapter XL ($660 off the Canon site a bit cheaper from B&H if in stock.) Not to mention, you’d need rails, a mattebox and a tripod that could hold the weight or a shoulder mount rig that could hold all that stuff. Don’t forget the focus puller and at least a UV ground glass (1 4×4″ filter runs $400+ though you could ‘ghetto it’ with traditional threaded filters.) A complete kit from Redrock Micro that would take care of all that for you will run $4k and change. Last but not least, don’t forget all of your footage will be upsidedown. So you’ll have to do a time and money consuming invert render, get software that will auto flip it or get an adapter that will auto flip it during production (Red Rock makes one of those for $500 and change too.) Another option is to get a camera that flips it automatically. Cameras I know that do it are the JVC 200 series cameras, but they cost more than 2k.

Inactive

Hi Composite1,

Thanks for the input. But being new to this side of things, is there any reason the hoods that i have for my other lenses will not work? What are rails? I have an old Manfrotto tripod rated to something daft that should be ok, although a new head might be needed. Is there any reason it should not do the job? whatsafocus puller?, i thought it was an assistant of some kind. And UV glass.. are you talking about a filter? If so, again why would the filters i have not work? Of course some new software will be needed, not sure my photoshop would be quite up to the job, but i know there are video equivalents out there.

So given that i have a whole load of camera kit, and all the lensaccesories i need, which of course work perfectly with my lenses, which in turn (as i understand it) work well on the xl2, what else do i need? Tripod head, EF adapter, sortware………

Chanks in advance

Inactive

Oh, and the upside down thing… is that to do with the EF lenses or something else?

Participant

Composite – “To make the camera SLR Lens mountable at the cheapest you’d need an EF Adapter XL ($660 off the Canon site a bit cheaper from B&H if in stock.)”

Yeah, Ive noticed that….perhaps it might be wise to go used? Not sure….

Chris -“CraftersOfLight suggested buying a new generation DSLR which has the ability to shoot HD, but im guessing the video quality is nowhere near that of something lile the XL2, so on the flip side, how good is the still photography function on the XL2?”

Well, the Xl2, though it will produce great images, is not an HD camera….futhermore, video cameras usually don’t have the still photo performace of a digital still camera….to be honest, I can’t rember the resolution if the XL2 even takes stills.

The DSLR cameras can produce some pretty impresseive HD video with the right lenses and lighting….Theyare something for you to seriously consider being a still photographer…

Here are some samples from the EOS 5D Mark II…As I said, they are pretty impressive, but A DSLRis not necessarily equipped for event videography or serious productions and will have their limitations and less control….but still…pretty impressive:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326

Inactive

Thanks for all the help guys. Cutting to the chase, I’m after a camera with which i could make a DVD about climbing more than anything (see how it goes i guess). So i need something with good quality, not ok quality. At the same time there really is a limit to how much i can spend on it, but i am after a specific video camera, not a DSLR with extras. Looking about i can find XL2s for around 1700 (second hand of course), and they seem a good option to me as i can use my current lenses with them, along with the magnification factor, that seems ideal to me.

But are there any other options out there? is the XL2 the only thing that wiil take my EF lenses (with an adapter) so what are your thoughts?

Participant

“Cutting to the chase, I’m after a camera with which i could make a DVD about climbing more than anything (see how it goes i guess).

Looking about i can find XL2s for around 1700 (second hand of course), and they seem a good option to me as i can use my current lenses with them, along with the magnification factor, that seems ideal to me.”

This camera will be great for DVDs, and professional quality web video….The Xl2 can produce very nice images especially if you have proper lighting….you won’t be dissapointed.

Even if you went HD, you’d still have to compress thequality down to be compatible with a standard definition DVD.

HD will give you better quality but not for under 2k.

Also, I doubt there is a better camera to use other than another XL model….they really don’t make cheap interchangeable lens systems.

Inactive

so are the canon cams the only ones that will take an ef lens with an adapter ore are they available for other makes, and if so which ones?

“… being new to this side of things, is there any reason the hoods
      that i have for my other lenses will not work? What are rails? I have
      an old Manfrotto tripod rated to something daft that should be ok,
      although a new head might be needed. Is there any reason it should not
      do the job? whatsafocus puller?, i thought it was an assistant of
      some kind. And UV glass.. are you talking about a filter? If so,
      again why would the filters i have not work? Of course some new
      software will be needed, not sure my photoshop would be quite up to the
      job, but i know there are video equivalents out there.”

Chris,

Here’s the low down on what your trying to set up. Yes, the Xl2 will work with your EOS lenses but only if you get a 35mm lens adapter. The cheapest way is to get a Canon EF Adapter (see the link and scroll down once you get the page open) for $600 US at the Canon Store (check B&H Photovideo under pro camera accessories to see if they have it cheaper.)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=165&modelid=10350#SNAModelSuppliesAct

The problems you’ll have with this setup as is are;

1. Upside down image due to lens parallax. Video camera lenses automatically correct for lens parallax since CCD’s only receive the image as right side up. That’s why you can turn an SLR sideways and reframe the image, but a video camera will turn the image on its side. The only two ways to physically correct for parallax is get a camera (or an adapter) to flip the image or shoot with the camera mounted upside down (that’s just silly.) With an upside down image you’d have to render all your usable footage first in order to get started editing (good luck trying to edit upside down.)

2. With your EF adapter and a 35mm lens on front focusing will be ‘challenging’. The XL2 isn’t the greatest shoulder mountable camera as it is front heavy. 35mm lenses would cut the weight on the front depending on what size you use. Video and still photography though born of the same parents are two different animals. The freedom you have focusing with an SLR will evaporate when you put an SLR lens on a video camera. You won’t be able to use your EOS autofocus capabilities and using full manual focus for video is an acquired skill. I rarely work with any auto capabilities on any of the video camera lenses I use and can consistently get non-jarring imagery. But that took time to learn how to do. I can do it to a certain degree (no way you’ll get rock steady images) with a camera with shoulder mount rails and a cine kit. Without rails and a good tripod upside down ‘earthquake cam’ is in your future. To get an idea of what I’m talking about, get your hands on any small handheld video cam and turn off the autofocus and image stabilization. Then try to shoot a scene handheld wide, medium and tight. Don’t forget to try an focus/set exposure all while trying to keep the image level and steady. Have fun.

3. Using your 35mm lenses on a video camera, your going to need rails, a mattebox, follow focus and a bunch of other stuff. You can see what a good kit looks like at Redrock Micro. They also show the ‘flip’ adapter you’ll need and they have a cine kit for SLR video cameras in case you change your mind.

http://redrockmicro.com/products.html

The rails will support your lens (particularly the longer heavier ones) and your mattebox as well. The mattebox is superior to a lens hood for keeping out stray light and it can hold multiple filters (ground glass or other types) and can be changed out quickly versus the potential ordeal of dismantling your mattebox / lens hood then unthreading your filter just to change it.

Really the whole purpose of using 35mm lenses and their requisite support gear is to get ‘the film look’ in video. The lens adapter helps preserve the shallow depth of field capabilities possessed by the SLR lenses. The cine kit helps make adjustments like, focusing, exposure and keeping the image steady easier. Truthfully, I think you’d be much better off starting out with the lens that comes with the XL2 which can be used with full stablization, autofocus and auto exposure or fully manual. When you get the hang of that then move up to a 14x or 16x manual (which I use implicitly) to get full control over focus and exposure (no stabilization, which is for weenies unless you’re shooting aerials, on a moving platform or run and gun footage.) Later, when your funds justify it, get the 3x. I’d save all of those wonderful lenses for a Mark 5D. The video from those are phenomenal and the price is unbelievably cheap compared to it’s comp (RED Scarlet.)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap