Which camcorder sony or panasonic

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi I am wondering which camcorder would be better for me. I am a realtor and will be doing videos of homes to put on the net and it will be also used for vacations and family. For homes I def need to be able to shoot inside with low light and outside with normal light. Been thnking about the sony dcr-sr300 or the panasonic sdr-h200 unles someone here has a better idea for me. I apprecitate all the help I can get

Inactive

First, I am of the mind that you can’t really ever go wrong with Sony and when in doubt or all else being equal, go Sony. In this case, I would also vote Sony. The Sony has a 1.5 lux rating while the Panasonic has a 12 lux (1 lux in Magicpix, which I really don’t have a clue what that is but I would guess it was related to infrared pix or something else) A 1.5 lux is awesome though. However, the Panasonic is a 3 chip cam (small 1/6" chips though) while the Sony is one very large chip (1/2.9").
      However, (again) the Panny has CCD (which I prefer) chips while the Sony has CMOS. All in all though, if low light is important, go with the Sony. For a better review check out cnet.com.

Inactive

I notice that both of the camcorders you mentioned record to an internal hard drive. That’s become a popular feature in the last year or 2. But most of the "serious" amateur videographers here prefer camcorders which record to miniDV tape cassettes. The reason is that they can get a slightly better video quality.

When the hard-disk based camcorders record, the information is encoded in an MPEG format. Now, that’s not neccesarrily bad. The problem is that MPEG is a "lossy" encoding process, meaning that a small part of the information in permanently lost when MPEG compresses the huge amount of visual data, so that it fits on the hard drive. Now, some "lossiness" is acceptable. For instance, the DVDs you buy or rent are encoded with MPEG. But if you are going to edit MPEG video, then re-encode the result to MPEG or some other "lossy" format, you’ve got a double-degradation of the video.

On the other hand, if your camcorder records to tape, the encoding is higher quality, and can stand a "lossy" encode when you’re done editing. (Of course, if the goal is to produce a highly compressed web video, displayed in a small window, then this doesn’t make much difference.)

I’m not familiar with which consumer camcorders are the best in low light, but as a rule-of-thumb, the larger image sensors (CCD or CMOS) can handle low light better. And if you are willing to spend a little more for a "prosumer" camcorder, the Sony VX2100 is famous for its low-light capabilities.

Hope this is of some help, 🙂
      Ken Hull

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap