When you jump from AVIO to PC…you…

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing When you jump from AVIO to PC…you…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

What do you think is the question? Yes! You are correct! We are moving ourselves out of the Casablanca and over to the PC NLE world. Now, you tell me what you think you would do? I need to know the size of RAM, I plan on going to external drives, so data storage is not critical, and I want to know in ENGLISH not in jargon, since I am not a jargon head…a Jarhead, maybe, but not jargon. I want to DVD author and make this usable for streaming. I have looked at the paper on AVID, but I have never used it, and therefore don’t know. On paper, I am not impressed. These units will be utilized by high school students daily. Let’er rip…
      housmt_chs@chester.k12.sc.us

Inactive

Wow!

I would acquaint your question to a question like, Why is there air?

There are so many possible answers and solutions out there that they would be to numerous to list. To make one person try and type out all those options would be very difficult especially on a forum.

Another thing is that by posing a question like yours on a forum such as this you will eventually end up with several different viewpoints and suggestions and when youre all done reading them, youll be right back where you started from. Lost and confused!

Your best bet is to do some research and reading. Use the search features on the internet and youll be surprised as to the articles floating around out in cyper-space. Shoot Videomaker magazine probably has a bunch of topics relating to your questions.

I will however, offer some advise. (IMO) If you are planning on integrating this into a high school classroom environment, I would use something easier for an NLE. While Avid is pretty much considered the #1 industry standard for "High-End" video editing, it has a rather steep learning curve. Now if youre whole game plan is to prepare kids to edit video for NBC right away then by all means go for it, but if youre out to teach the whole concept of pre-production, filming, editing and post production, then you might try something a little more basic. As far as which one to use, I guess it really depends on what youre trying to accomplish in the end. Perhapes if you could shed some light on that, some of us here might be able to at least steer you in thr right direction. As of right now, your question is to big to answer.

RAM

Inactive

Thank you for the input. We are going to have the second year students use the PC NLE’s. The firstys get to use the Casablanca. I think that the students in their second year are really wanting the steeper curve to push their skills and imaginations. We will be incorporating green screen/chromakey and other elements of videography. I found out today that we will be getting IBM Lenovo S51’s. We are going to upgrade to 1M RAM and use RAID Drives, I think. Do you think the Adobe suite is a better avenue than Avid?

Inactive

Well youre asking an Adobe guy so what do you think Im going to say? πŸ˜€

I think this could work for you. The advantage of using the suite is that once you learn one of the programs the other ones will operate somewhat in the same manor. The nice thing about Adobe Premiere Pro is that you can start off slow and get good results without having to be a master of the whole thing first. It does however; take a lot more time to learn the true guts of it. Out of the complete suite, that program is probably the easiest while After Effects is probably the hardest.

A few months ago, my younger brother (who has some kind of Masters Degree in Computer Science) asked me if I could be used as a consultant for setting up a video media class that he was in charge of starting for the school hes teaching at. I spent an afternoon putting a shopping list of what I would recommend for starting a class and I recommended Adobe only because he was using Windows PCs. He had major funds available so when it was all said and done he spent over $9000.00 at B&H for cameras, wireless mics, light kits, software, green & blue screens and so fourth. I have to say that it was fun spending other peoples money. Anyway he is all set now and he mentioned to me that the kids are really interested in this field. I asked what kind of projects they wanted to do and of course they wanted to do music videos. What the heck its a start.

BTW: By just increasing RAM on a PC doesnt guarantee that a PC will be able to perform the daunting task of video editing. Editing video is the most demanding process on a PC. Youll need a fast CPU and a strong graphics card as well

Good luck!

RAM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap