What is Video to You?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Video, primarily, appears to be a part time gig, hobby, labor of love, retirement income supplement, etc. for the vast majority. What’s it to you? Me? Video is 100 percent my living. No video, pay no bills, have no fun, purchase no equipment, software, hardware or supplies, eat no fancy meals, pay no insurance premiums, drive no car…

…get the picture? I am all video, all the time. Well, I am writing a number of fiction and non-fiction books. After all, I am a 30-year veteran career journalist and freelance writer. But, the business that puts food on the table is video.

This is what I market, if I want to make it. That, by the way, is my copyright marketing slogan: “If You Market, You Will Make It! copyright Earl Chessher, 1990-2008. At some point I will begin seeking an agent for my writing, but until then…

…video.

Any of you out there, is video your sole source of sustenance, income?

Participant

im in your boat earl.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

I love to do video, there are so many different things that can be done that are endless. I have take acting classes and done stage performances and is so different than a video production because of the simple fact that you can mess the lines and all that is need to do is “CUT, lets start again”. But in stage performances is you forget a line, your are totally ruined. Usually when I see a stage performances I always think of where should I put the camera and the angles and effects I want for the editing. And another thing is the endless scenarios that can be used and created in video productions. Of course, a great acting in a video is extremely important, but the magic is done in the editing, the music (without it a video production is almost nothing), the camera angles, the lights, etc.

To me video making is giving life to a certain action in a way that fuel our imagination and gives us a new idea of the imagination of the human being. I love to get out in the field to take video fottage (and my all time favorite, lightning storm chasing, I LOVE IT) and see the world from the perspective of the camera lens. To me video making is life.

Participant

I was a serious hobbyist as a photographer before I turned pro (a million years ago – the early 70’s – in a prior life) and now I do video mostly as a serious hobby but have created many videos for the company that pays me the salary to afford such a pricey hobby (including several used by the chairman of the board, president, other higher ups…).

I also have been trying to get a supplemental income business using video off the ground – Have ahd a couple of paying customers already who have been very happy with the results and have a couple more in the pipeline.

I hope to have this as a 5-7 day per month job in retirement but if times get bad, I could see myself doing this full time now (just need the jobs).

Participant

I’m a pro photographer, mostly wedding.

I expanded to full multimedia, ’cause it served three purposes.

1) Some customers can’t afford both photography and videography. My package gives them another option.

2) I don’t view other photographers as my competition, in the wedding business. I look at the clients I’ve got, and view every other business that want’s a chunk of thier wedding budget as my main competition. So I eliminate the need to hire a videographer.

3) Too many videographers get competitive at events and we tend to get in each others way…2 guys with cameras trying to get the best camera angles are going to wind up bumping into each other eventually….

Participant

Video is a new business venture to me – it’s also a struggle and thank goodness my wife works!

I was a hobbyist until a year and a half ago and decided to go into business developing education packages. A customer wanted an orientation video, I said sure, then I had another and then one more that took me til April this year. Since then nothing!

I live in an area that doesn’t have a really large population base to pull from and work around here comes from three areas, networking, networking and networking!

Participant

As an amateur who has just stepped foot into the professional world of media, I am in awe of the endless possibilities that surround me. I’m just getting my feet wet, and I hope and pray that someday I will be a full fledged video guru like many of you on here!

You, Fortier, I predict will sooner rather than later be among the new generation of technorati, offering wise input and advise on the new and relevant technologies for video production and distribution forums from web to whatever lies beyond BluRay. The answer man for all the rest of us to come, and those of us who still remember U-matic, VHS and open reel video recorders large enough to fill two living rooms.

Thanks for chiming in, and do it more often.

Participant

I’ve been a full time vidiot for two decades.

I started like everyone else, working for free until I got paid minimum wage to do it ($3.35 an hour at the local news station as a camera op/floor director.)

Many things have changed in the industry in the last 25 years or so. My passion for ithas not.

I now work from home. I have a little Sony FX-1 and a paid-for Avid suite. I still ove what I do and enjoy the creativity. I’ve gotten to work with everyone from the homeless to our president doing this gig.

I do love it.

Inactive

Several years ago I began “dreaming” of making an independent film and began researching how movies are made. I quickly realized that film wasout of my reach financially speaking. I then began learning about video and how it has grown over the past 20 years. I met a couple of people who released afewmovies straight to DVD and, while not a hollywood block buster, they had moderate success doing so. So I’ve been working in that direction for a little less than a year now.

My ‘real’ job pays the bills and I’ve begun a small business with video that is slowly but steadily growing. I’ve landed a few television commercials, weddings and video the Christmas play for a local church. Maybe it will someday become a full time job, but for now I’m really enjoying the ‘paying hobby’ that I’ve started.

Participant

I am an artist, a guerilla movie producer, a do-it-yourself-with-no-money-and-make-a-million-bucks movie maker. I’m still in the intermediate level, but hope to get into the advanced category of video “gurus”.

Movies are my way of changing the world. Hollywood has made some not so great stuff and I feel it’s my duty to step up to the plate and make movies to keep our nation and world on the right path to morality. If there are no goodPG and G rated movies, then movies have failed us.

At the moment, I have 3 jobs: Fast Food, Audio and Video. I have discovered that I hate making a movie such as a wedding video or corporate video for others to use, like, critique, be in charge of and that sort ofthing. My hat’s off to all you working wedding/corporate/business video producers. The only way Video would pay for me is if I got to Hollywood’s level. And that’s what I intend to do. Just got to get mymovies into theaters. Hmmm….

Hey SargeHero! I’m with you on this one.

Participant

Well, I guess I am a hobbiest and a Pro in one. My main job is being a Missionary in Ukraine that is right the former soviet union. I am so glad I was born and raised in America. We do how ever make our own evangelical movies for us to use and others as well. I have helped other missions with Video and doing shoots for them. A few weddings for friends and I shoot footage here in Russia and ukraine that i send to a company for sell. We do hope to get our own studio and start making movies more on a full time basis but for now we do what we can. I do love to get my Fx-1 out and do some shooting though there is just something about that totally cool

Awesome! Daryl, Chris and “newmovies”! GREAT to read your responses here. Hope others will also chime in.

Participant

well, it was my hobby but after the construction market crashed I may have no choice but to make it my money maker.

ok forget may, i have no other choice. Construction is not coming back anytime soon. My biggest problem is finding the work, seems everyone is in the same sinking boat. any advice earl?

NewBirth, you have likely read or checked out some of my marketing stuff at my blog: http://www.eccomeecgo.blogspot.com and even perhaps replied elsewhere to it on the Videomaker forums. But if you have not, it might be useful to you to read a few of the things I’ve posted there regarding not only money-making video ideas and concepts (all having been done to some degree of success by me) but marketing strategies and approaches as well.

I haven’t written the be all to end all difinitive series, but many people who have read my posts there comment that they have found some degree of success with one thing or another.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Participant

EarlC I read your blog that is so cool how that worked out “A Day in the Life” I guess aperson must keep his eyes open at all times because the oppertuniteis can be right in front of you face. I guess I have had some degree of succsess Justlooking for my niche is all

Inactive

My father started making home movies using an 8 mm camera in 1937. He always carried a still or movie camera on trips. I watched home movies before I saw my first TV show. Everyone in our family are photography hobbyists.
      I retired several years ago and transitioned my hobby to a small business where I 1) convert 8mm and vhs home movies to DVD (I use MovieStuffs telecine equipment for 8mm film). 2) digitize photos and slides and make movies from them using Photo-to-Movie software. 3) create public service announcement and training movies for non-profit organizations – doesnt pay much but you get a lot of business for #1 & 2 business. Im not in it for the money but just enough to pay off the equipment.
      I really enjoy editing. Thats where the real challenge for story telling. And adding the right music. I probably spend more time looking for the right music (I bought a large royalty free music library) than editing clips. Sometimes, Ill create my own background music using Garage Band.

Thanks Daryl, it really works for getting extra business. I also just posted another simple money maker with video vignettes on the blog. Check it out.

LDP – interesting story there. My dad was an avid 8mm/Super8 film buff. I once converted 5,480 feet of film to video, and will soon be moving it over to DVD for the family, along with something besides the trailer music that was the only thing available at the time. I will also be editing it a bit better, and moving some of the inadvertently non-chronological segments together where they belong.

We all have had our influences, huh.

Inactive

Earl, one thing in the back of my mind when I started my business is that if my job tanks like so many have in the past couple of years (layoffs, closings etc.), then maybe I’ll have something to fall back on should worse come to worse. Hoping to build it up steadily with a solid base.

This reminds me of an old school assignment….

I got my ‘addiction’ to video production when I became a videographer in the military. Even when slogging though flamingdeserts or bug infested jungles (BTW, that thing in the bushes is a Tiger….) or trying shoot and hold in my lunch in the back of a fighter,I would always chuckle because someone was paying me to do this! When I got out, I had experience up the wazoo and a reel to match but nobody would hire me. So, since I had always planned to start my own company I just acted on it. Now, many years later though I’ve branched into other areas (writing, publishing, etc.) video production still pays the bills and keeps me rollin’. In truth, any other gig would literally ‘bore me to death’. I’ve been at this for nearly20 years and will most likely be on set when they find me seated in my director’s chair and have to pry the viewfinder ‘from my cold dead hands!’ With me, there’s no choice; ‘Give me video or give me…’ Okay, that’s over the top, but you get the idea.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap