what type of camcorder do i need?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Ok what type of camcorder do i need to make my own home videos for
      skitts and stuff to edit on my computer? i am confused about all of the
      options, do i want dvd, mimi dv, hard drive, high def, flash
      memory??? i want somthing conveinient to post onto the web, like
      youtube or funny or die…. would i want a hard drive camcorder?
      seriously i am confused…

Participant

What is your budget, and what type of capabilities are you looking for? It sounds like you’re a beginner looking to shoot simple video for family.

“i am confused about all of the options, do i want dvd, mimi dv, hard drive, high def, flash memory”

These are the different recording mediums for different convenience purposes. For the most part, it’s a personal preference. Here’s a short summary of each. MiniDV is the original digital recording (tape) that offers the least convenience, but is considered the “wisest” way to go by professionals, since it records in the DV-AVI format. It’s also been the first consumer digital recording format. DVD camcorders record to miniature-sized DVD discs that store video in the original MPEG-2 (DVD codec) format. Personally, I wouldn’t go with DVD, as it offers short recording times in the highest quality and is often slow to operate, due to the nature of optical drives. Also, your player/editing software must support the proprietary MPEG-2 format. With hard disk camcorders, you have a slightly broader recording capability and usually more time at the highest quality. It operates faster than DVD, and usually offers more stability and convenience. It also requires the support of the MPEG-2 format for playing or importing. Check your editor’s help index for “MPEG-2” support. And last but not least, the flash memory camcorder records to an internal memory and/or removable flash memory (SDHC) card. It also requires support of the MPEG-2 (DVD) codec for importing video.

Another format is AVCHD, which has dominated and served as the recording format for HD camcorders on hardriveand solid state (flash) memory. It uses more effecient compression, usually allowing longer recording times. Like MPEG-2, it has not been supported by the majority of players, editors, and pro NLEs (Non-linear editors) available. Nearly 85% of video software available supports it now, so it probably won’t bemuch of a worry. Just to note, Windows Movie Maker does not support these formats without special software for converting video.

Have you looked at cheap MiniDV camcorders (e.g. eBay) for around $250-$600, or JVC’s Everio line of HDD and Flash camcorders – http://camcorder.jvc.com/index.jsp

Free videosoftware – http://www.avsmedia.com/

Inactive

Since you are just getting started, I might suggest a hard drive or flash memory camera. Hard drives hold more, but they can’t be removed when full, you must delete the content. Flash cameras can change out, but you need to buy multiple cards. That’s the major difference. In the professional field, I almost always use a tape camera, but again, for your use, I recommend a tapeless one for ease of use.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap