What to charge for conference DVD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m a noob in the the business…sobare (bear?) with me here.

Willdo a video of a conference including twomorningspeakers (2 hours), afternoon breakout sessions (3 hours), late afternoon panel dicussions (1-2 hours).

Total content @ 7 hours.

How would I “slice and dice” this for sale to conference attendees and how much to charge for the dvd(s)?

Should be about 100-300 attendees.

Thanks for all the help in advance…

EarlC

I cover seminars and conferences based either on a flat daily fee, guaranteed sales or direct sales. Direct sales is, essentially, a “speculation” approach and I rarely offer this one unless attendance is estimated at 1,000 or more.

The most popular is more or less a “work for hire” but not really, in that the organizing group guarantees to purchase, say 300 copies, and I shoot, edit, produce and deliver them at a cost-per-DVD. That cost is based on numbers for me, with 100 or less at $25 each; 100-200 at $20; down to $10-$12 for 500 or more.

I have occasionally charged a flat daily fee based on my standard $100 per hour rate $1,000 for 10 hours or less, then hold a six-week “sales” period where I obtain a list of attendees, and/or the organizing group provides advance, at event and post event promotion of the DVDs being available by a professional video producer. This is popular because I can offer the DVDs at up to $15 or so, either FOB or drop off all orders to a central location or, if the company insists, work out some direct-mail fulfillment with them providing the mailing labels and a check-list.

Going in as a newbie it is easy to shaft yourself because you cannot know all the potential things that can crop up on you. Even with experience I have to say that the unexpected ALWAYS happens and rarely is production, delivery and sales of such programs a “piece of cake.”

So, while you aren’t necessarily “experienced” with all facets of this production and sales approach, don’t be tempted to accept the company’s description of how easy and/or straight-forward it all will be. Require choice of placement, use of lights and auxiliary audio, and pick your battles without caving in to every perceived threat from them. They want it cheap, fast and good. Now days that is possible, but don’t make the “cheap” I like to say affordable, so low that you come out frazzled and penniless.

artismobile
      Participant

Earl,

I have a similar situation I have not encountered before. I have shot a few weddings, commercials and web videos but today I have been asked to provide a quote for a 4 hour conference. The client provided nothing other than “We need a videographer for our conference 8a -12p” My guess is they want one DVD. I searched for the forum for ideas what to charge and got a few examples. I have no idea since I have never shot a conference. Curious what your thought was. I have not figured what my standard rate is.

Thank you

Art

EarlC

Art, if the organizers want simply a clean audio/video reproduction of the four-hour event start to finish, and are not interested in content development or professional packaging, then a $100 per hour rate is totally appropriate for anyone with general event production experience as you have, and the equipment and knowledge to put it together.

If they want an edited production with chapters and other support materials, or if the collection of presentation materials is more than simply videotaping the presenter, then you could charge the hourly fee for acquisition, and whatever rate you think appropriate for editing and packaging I get $45 to $75 per hour for editing and post production depending on the complexity of the project.

Again, there’s a HUGE difference between straight shooting with essentially non-edited DVD and professional production that involves multimedia content, graphic design, chapters and other elements, or for a production that is intended by the organizing company to be a commercial package. Be sure to ask as many of the relevant questions as you can think of. These people will over simplify, under estimate and generally come off like the whole experience is a $100 job not.

EarlC

Art, another thing is that sadly many seminars and programs are not as sophisticated or smoothly delivered, nor professionally given as the organization wants to THINK. Then they expect you to clean up their bad and make it look and sound professional. Don’t beat yourself up over a situation like that. Neither the camera, nor your expertise is going to polish a you-know-what into a glowing commercially viable, professional presentation.

Be prepared for high expectations, low budgets and inadequate programming/presentation.

artismobile
      Participant

Earl,

Thank you. That gives me a better understanding. I am certainly use to the high expectations and low budgets for sure. If there is one thing I have learned in the short amount of time in this business is I cannot compete with price. I would come in 2nd every time. I try to compete with quality to win one every now and then.

Thanks for your response

Art

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN