What the most important equipment for the video editor?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum What the most important equipment for the video editor?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

My unanimous vote goes to having a comfortable chair. It not easy sitting 4+ continuous hours in a crappy chair.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I would say in this order:

1. Chair

2. A computer that can handle editing video without isses.

3. A Program that does what its suppose to

4. A mini fridge packed with your favorite beverage.

birdcat
      Participant

The eyes are important, but it’s what behind them that’s critical. If you don’t have a vision of what you want in your mind’s eye, you’re screwed.

On the technology side of things, an NLE that you are comfortable and proficient with is the most important – I like Sony Vegas Pro – You can take bad footage and make it better, take bad audio and improve it, all with a very old computer (Pentium 4 @ 2.6GHz, 3GB RAM, XP Pro SP 3, sub 1080 monitor, etc…) which shows that as long as the software runs, you can get by with good enough.

My chair is currently a very good one, but I have used CostCo $20 folding varieties with equal success. More importantly, IMHO, is a good working environment – quiet, well lit, convenient bathroom & kitchen facilities, ability to meet with current and prospective clients.

The two things on the technology side I will bow to are a) a really great library of royalty free assets – stock photos & video, music, sound effects, animated wipes & backgrounds, lower thirds, etc… Probably the best bang for the buck you can add to make your work better/easier; and b) a good selection of software tools (audio cleanup, titling, authoring, format conversion & compression, etc…) which can in general make your life a whole lot easier.

Just MHO on all this – I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV – Your mileage may vary.

Grinner Hester
      Participant

1.an NLE he is comfy with

2. all the proper tools and apps to accent that

3. clients

4. people skills

5. technical and artistic savvy

D0n
      Participant

cannot disagree with what has already posted… would add one more item… a treadmill.

nothing like getting off your assets during render times and taking care of your ticker…

composite1

All of these are good things for an editor to have. I’ll add; patience (lots of it for your gear, your project, your clients and yourself) and something nearby that’s breakable you won’t miss!

D0n
      Participant

“and something nearby that’s breakable you won’t miss!”

you clearly have not tried “CyberClean”

simply squeeze on, peel off to clean your electronics… then put back into plastic tub, insert two fingers and press down…. blame horrific sounding flatulence rumbles on nearby kids or dog!

also use as peel and stick heat dissipator for video d-slr…

Eugene
      Participant

I value solitude highly, while editing. It is very annoying to have your track of thoughtinterrupted.

Yvon
      Participant

Hi,

Most important before to work is to settle reasonable objectives. Before dashing into projects is better to realize only one, make it completely and that it is paying. Many guys thinks of making a name by touching everything, be selective, know what is you done.

Regards,

YR

EarlC

Bruce came close: The most important equipment for video editors are their eyes, ears, hands and fingers πŸ˜‰

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN