What the heck is batch capturing??

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5 (can’t affor to upgrade yet). I have read through the manual and did a search for ‘batch capture’ on this forum, but I just don’t get it. Can someone please explain what the concept behind "batch capture" is? How does it help? Does it save time?

Then, how do you do it in Premiere Pro 1.5? Hank-I am hoping you see this because you are great at explaining things (as I am sure many of you are too).

I have a project that I have to start now, and I am hoping to save some time.

Thanks!
      Brad

Inactive

I don’t personally use Premeire Pro so I’m not sure if it functions the exact same way as other NLEs, but generally batch capture allows you to specify several parts of a tape(s) and then have the NLE automatically capture all of them

Inactive

I agree. I do the same thing with Vegas. You’d probably spend MORE time just setting up that batch capture than to just capture the whole tape. With automatic scene detection, your NLE will see where there’s a break in the scene and/or look to see where the camera started and stopped recording and create a separate video clip. A life saver…

Inactive

Thanks Guys! You both just answered my question! I have been doing it the way you do all along. I was just wondering if batch was faster, looks like it isn’t.

Thanks again,
      Brad

Inactive

As I would have said the same thing, I’ll take the consulting fee that Hank turned down. X-D

I use Pinnacle Studio, not as advanced as the NLE applications above, but sufficient for my use. I too capture the whole tape, using the auto scene detection feature. It works very well.

I’m far from a pro, but it seems to me to make more sense to capture EVERYTHING now and decide not to use something, rather than leave something out and have to go back and capture it later if you change your mind.

Participant

The upside to logging all of your footage is that you’re reviewing each clip, naming it appropriately, making mental notes – organizing the project in your head, so later you’re that much ahead of the game. If you’re doing weddings where you’ve got the same basic format from project to project this may not be as useful, but it really does help me to have a bin full of appropriately named clips with notes.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap