What tapes/filter for FX1?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Well I just bought a Sony hdr FX1, and should receive it by Tuesday. This being my first HD camera, I was curious what tapes and UV/protector filter I should get. For tape choice, I won’t be shooting in HD all the time, and a tape that is not to expensive but I can use for both HD and SD would be perfect. I realize sony has there own digital HD mini DV tape, but they seem quite expensive compared to others. I have found that many owners of the FX1 use the panasonic DV tapes, do these work well for SD and HD?

For a filter, all I really need is one to protect the lens. I guess multicoated filters are better for preventing glare, and are recommended for cameras with 3ccd and HD. I don’t want to pay a lot, just what ever is neccessary to prevent glare, and protect the lens.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Nick

Inactive

mtnbkr28,

As a rule, I never disagree with "compusolver" but in this case (IMO of course), I don’t think it’s really absolutely necessary to use the same brand tape as the camera brand. I have read however, a lot regarding picking a brand of tape and sticking with it. This is because of the slightly different coatings that various companies use. It is said I guess, that mixing these different coatings can gum up your heads somewhat.

The brand name thing is really just a marketing thing.

RAM

BTW: I only use Sony too even though I have Canon cameras. πŸ™‚

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

Canon doesn’t make tapes, do they?

Not that I’m aware of.

Hank, I would agree that companies would probably want to make sure that their tapes worked in their cameras, but when you break down the parts of a camera, the various heads used by companies like Sony, Canon and JVC might not even be made directly by them. Sure these guys probably design and assemble them but some of the parts are probably made by someone else just like cars. Hell for all I know, there only might be one company that is capable of making video heads and they sell them to anybody and everybody. Besides, if there was a real issue with tapes, these camera companies would spell out in huge letters that only THEIR tapes can be used and that using someone else’s would void warrentys. That probably wouldn’t be the best thing for the manufacturers or the consumers.

RAM

Inactive

LOL!

We usually take our new tapes to our church and have the Father bless them before we use them! X-D

RAM

Participant

Hey thanks guys, I was planning on sticking with the same tape, just wasn’t sure exactly what to get. I’ll probably get the sony digital HD video tapes:

But compusolver, what tapes do you get for $3.00? The sony HD tapes are around $30 for 2.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on UV filters that I can use for lens protection?

Participant

Alright thanks man, appreciate the help, those are definitely a lot cheaper than the $17 HD tapes. You say you use the premium tapes with your FX1? If thats the case then I should get those, save a load of money… and as you say, no problems with them over past year, so I guess they work fine.

Nick

Participant

Are you planning on using the same tapes or upgrading to the digital HD tapes? And actually I have another question, I have a Gateway laptop which is capable of editing HDV but I don’t know how to connect the camera to it. The only output on the camera is I-Link right? but I have no I-Link input on the laptop, so is there some sort of adaptor? How do I connect my Sony camera to my Gateway laptop for editing? This has stumpted me.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2020

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration,...
homicide-bootstrap