What software to use to edit video clips?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing What software to use to edit video clips?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, i am a newly in making DVD from video-recording. Can someone kindly tell me what is bit rates? and if i want to burn my recording from DV minitapes on DVD, should I use the Window Video Maker or the software that comes with my camcorder? what are the goods or bads if using Window Video Maker? Thanks.

Inactive

Windows Movie Maker is a good way to “cut your teeth” but you can not create DVDs using it. You can make some very good and basic edits with it but it is limited options wise. I don’t know what camera and software you have now so I can’t comment on that but for $100 or less there are some very good NLE tools out there that will allow you to create DVDs with little to no trouble and you can use what you’ve learned by using Windows Movie Maker.

Oh. Bitrates are a measurement of how much data is/can be transfer for a given time period. The higher your bitrate the better your images and sound. However it’s not as simple as that because other factors come in to play that will place limits on the bitrate and your end product. But higher bitrates are good in theory.

Inactive

Thanks for your reply. I have bought a Panasonic ( I forgot the model number as i left it at work) and it comes with a software. So why can’t i burn the video clips made from Window Video Maker onto DVD? is it because of the file format they use?

Inactive

I did not mean you can’t use Movie Maker, it’s just that you will need a DVD creation app because Windows Movie Maker does not have that as an option.

If you have, let’s say Adobe Permiere Elements, you could capture your footage in Windos Movie Maker, edit it in Windows Movie Maker and then import the finished edited video into Elements to create and burn your DVD. Your work flow would be somewhat longer but if that works for you then it’s no issue.

On the other hand, if you had Elements [or one of the other good NLEs out there with built in DVD creation tools] you could do it all from one app and that would/should make your work flow faster.

Inactive

Thank you very much for your prompt answers again. Yes i think i understand what you mean here as i have some experience to make VCD. I will first check the software that came with the camcorder and work from there. Time is a big issue for me as i am doing this as a research study. I plan recording the video on the miniDV tapes and onto the hard drive of my laptop at the same time. Afterwards i will burn the footages onto DVD as backup as well as one copy to be sent to another researcher. Do you have another suggestion for me regarding what the best way to achieve all these in a short time? Thanks heaps.

Participant

I have used a few non-linear editing (NLE’s) packages and have chosen Sony’s Vegas as my tool of choice. They have an intro priced on called Vegas Movie Studio which has almost all of the features of their premier package (biggest limit is number of video & audio tracks).

I don’t know what software came with your camcorder but chances are it’s not very feature rich. Windows Movie Maker is a very poor NLE in comparison to the professional ones (Vegas, Avid, Final Cut Pro, etc…). Just remember, in video as in everything else in life – you get what you pay for – if it’s free, chances are it’s not too great.

Just MHO.

Inactive

I’m a huge fan of Vegas. Very easy to pick up (would recommend spotted eagle’s book) and learn. I am a little biased though, I have been working with the former Sonic Foundry (now Sony) music remixing software for years.

Inactive

Mickey,
    If I’m reading you right, you’re just wanting to use the DVD as a storage media..?..? I thought you wanted to make a DVD with chapters and a menu and the whole nine yards.

You can use Movie Maker to capture your footage to your hard drive and then edit/cut out what you don’t need, then save the file as a .AVI and then burn it to a DVD disc using whatever DVD software you have on your computer. Again, if I’m reading you right and you’re not needing entertainment type DVDs your time should be very short because you won’t need to make deep edits or add sound tracks and effects and stuff.

I shot some footage straight to my hard drive once as a DV AVI file using Windows Movie Maker and 1 hour and 35 minutes of video took up about 23 gigabytes of space… So keep that in mind.

I hope that helps because you should have zero problem using Movie Make as a capture source and then burning your video files to DVD as back-ups.

Inactive

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Especially to hidef1080, yes you are correct in all the ways you read my messages. I am fully aware of the memory space taken up with the Window Movie Maker so my study laptop has 100GB hard drive solely for this purpose. Anyway thanks to everyone. This is such a lovely forcum for ‘newies’ like me. Thanks heaps. If you have more ideas, please feel free to tell me again. Cheers, Mickey.

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap